Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom Kandy

1950 Studebaker Pickup by kawwsu29, on Flickr

Happy New Year, and happy Studebakering!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Great truck!
    That picture must have been taken at the Starliner show here in Wichita.
    The building in the background is the Art Deco styled Wichita Municipal Airport, our first airport and now home to the Kansas Aviation Museum.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

While I am a fan of most Stude customs, this one is a little over the top for me, especially the front end. Choosing to rework the front end of our car because of a front end collision when custom work was originally done back in the 50's by my father-in-law and his brother was unfortunate. I still think the '53 grill (bars) is unmatched in any Stude since.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
      https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

It looks very late1950s-early1960s. I wouldn't buy it. On the other hand, I like what I can see of that chopped 1950 Mercury next to it.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I dig the finned bed.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

Here are a few more shots of this one. It was at the Greybeard show in Denver during Thanksgiving. I liked it! Hope to see it out and about with the rest of the Pikes Peak Chapter.

Carey
            Packard Hawk

Comment

WOW! Thanks for the extra photos, Carey! I love the tail treatment. Even cooler knowing it's a genuine survivor.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This is one truly well done custom of its type. It certainly fits that time period. This style reminds me of what could be done with the old AMT 53 Ford pickup kit. I was never a real fan of the canted Quad headlights though.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Another truck at the same show had a similar front end treatment. This was another one that was a restored custom.

Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Comment

The Ford pickup was a color feature in the August 1962 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. This issue was, I believe, the first to have inside color pages.

Comment

I don't recall seeing the Studebaker pickup that was the original subject of this thread in any of my old magazines, but I do remember this custom Stude pickup - also with canted quad headlights - that was the subject of a color feature in the April 1963 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. They called it the "Smooth Stude." I cut out the color pic and displayed it on my wall for a couple of years (the torn corners are where they were taped - hey, I was 12 years old).

Comment

Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                        The Ford pickup was a color feature in the August 1962 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. This issue was, I believe, the first to have inside color pages.
                        Thanks for posting that picture. Check out this web page for the original build with pictures!
                        Carey
                        Packard Hawk

Comment

Well done...I like it.

Comment

I am is process of putting canted quads in my 52 pickup.

Comment

Wow! You have got to love old Customs. Glad to see that it is becoming trendy to retore or bring out old show customs from the 50's & 60's when indoor car shows were sooo popular.
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X