Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

What unfortunate event occurred on this day (December 31, 1985) that has a minor, but interesting, Studebaker connection. The first person with the correct answer will win the undying admiration of absolutely no one. However, depending upon your level of egotism, it might help you enter the year 2011 with an awe-inspiring feeling of superiority!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

What unfortunate event occurred on this day (December 31, 1985) that has a minor, but interesting, Studebaker connection. The first person with the correct answer will win the undying admiration of absolutely no one. However, depending upon your level of egotism, it might help you enter the year 2011 with an awe-inspiring feeling of superiority!
    Rick Nelson died in plane crash.
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post
      Rick Nelson died in plane crash.
      OK Bob, feeling smug? Well that was only the warm-up what was the Studebaker connection?
      Richard Quinn

Comment

OK Bob, feeling smug? Well that was only the warm-up what was the Studebaker connection?
        At one time he owned an Avanti.
        Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Bob you tha man

Comment

Heck, I know that also, but I got here too late.
            I have been sorting old family photos today... what a way to end up the year!
            Anyway that was getting too depressing having to throw out family photos so I needed a break by checking in on the FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post
              At one time he owned an Avanti.
              Bob (and Deaf); Actually I have been toying with you. I knew that info on Rick Nelson would be easy to access on the Internet. What I really want to know is the serial number of the Avanti and the dealer from whom he purchased it? Get this and you can really feel smug and I will induct you into the Pantheon of Great Thinkers. However miss it and you are just another common, run-of-the-mill Avanti owner whose only claim to fame is that he has the rudiments of knowledge in doing Google research. I will be anxiously awaiting your response.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Bob (and Deaf); Actually I have been toying with you. I knew that info on Rick Nelson would be easy to access on the Internet. What I really want to know is the serial number of the Avanti and the dealer from whom he purchased it? Get this and you can really feel smug and I will induct you into the Pantheon of Great Thinkers. However miss it and you are just another common, run-of-the-mill Avanti owner whose only claim to fame is that he has the rudiments of knowledge in doing Google research. I will be anxiously awaiting your response.
                I just love it when the Alpha Rams lock horns!!!!!

Well done Bob, DM and Richard.

Bob
                , ,

Comment

Red 1963 Studebaker Avanti, serial number R1607, R2 with a supercharger, 4-speed, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, twin traction, and tinted glass.
                  Dealer ???
                  pb

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                    Red 1963 Studebaker Avanti, serial number R1607, R2 with a supercharger, 4-speed, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, twin traction, and tinted glass.
                    Dealer ???
                    pb
                    Sorry way off. Well, at least you got the first digit of the serial number correct! Unfortunately that will not allow you to move on to 2nd grade.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

I will never trust the internet again
                      pb

Comment

Well, none of the Avanti enthusiasts gets to go into 2011 with an overinflated ego!

Ricky Nelson purchased his new Avanti in November 1962 from Coventry Motors at 9334 Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills California. It as serial number 63R 1431. Avanti Gold with black vinyl trim with automatic, ps, electric windows and air conditioning etc.
                        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Did he own 2.
                          I ask as other websites state he owned R1607.
                          pb

Comment

There's also the possibility that the DC3 in which he died could have been powered by a Studebaker.

Comment

Well, none of the Avanti enthusiasts gets to go into 2011 with an overinflated ego!

Ricky Nelson purchased his new Avanti in November 1962 from Coventry Motors at 9334 Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills California. It as serial number 63R 1431. Avanti Gold with black vinyl trim with automatic, ps, electric windows and air conditioning etc. The last I knew of the car it was owned by AOAI member Neil Lipes in Redford, Michigan. Now you know "the rest of the story!"
                              Neil Lipes does not seem like a common name to me. Is this the same guy that now owns a 1964 R2 and lives in NYC? If so, he has been on this Forum with various aliases.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X