Ebay GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay GT

There are so many factors that can effect bidding on ebay, one is how many similar items are listed and at what price. My R2 GT clone was up against a couple of lower dollar, average cars, but still was bid much higher. Now, I may get "help" from this seller with his way too high opening bid. (Nice enough, non stock restoration, but 25K ?) BTW, the car is far from original as it is listed in the description, I hate it when folks do that, even out of ignorance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...23891245QQrdZ1

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

I have been to most of the Tidewater ( Hampton Roads Chapter) Virginia car shows in the last few years but I have never seen this car even though he is from that area.

I agree, he is dreaming about the asking price.

I did hear that Studebaker made some GT Hawks with chrome fan shrouds, though

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I have been to most of the Tidewater ( Hampton Roads Chapter) Virginia car shows in the last few years but I have never seen this car even though he is from that area.

I agree, he is dreaming about the asking price.

I did hear that Studebaker made some GT Hawks with chrome fan shrouds, though

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Right you both are. I got out of the Corvette hobby because every Corvette was a "priceless collectable". I was hoping that Studebaker people were more in touch with reality. Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson has done more to hurt the car hobby than help it. When the investors are gone, it will implode like real estate recently and before that the stock market. Remember the car hobby in the early '90's.

Comment

Right you both are. I got out of the Corvette hobby because every Corvette was a "priceless collectable". I was hoping that Studebaker people were more in touch with reality. Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson has done more to hurt the car hobby than help it. When the investors are gone, it will implode like real estate recently and before that the stock market. Remember the car hobby in the early '90's.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wpsrea

Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson has done more to hurt the car hobby than help it. When the investors are gone, it will implode like real estate recently and before that the stock market. Remember the car hobby in the early '90's.
            Collector car auction/price expert Keith Martin says the market is healthy because it's being driven by "car guys" as opposed to investors. The stupid $1-2 million prices for rare muscle cars may cool a bit, but he doesn't think it will implode like the late 80s early 90s. He says there will always be a good market for desireable and quality cars. Plus some long neglected makes (like certain Studebakers) are finally catching up to the prices of other period cars...in other words, a Golden hawk is being where it should be as opposed to the generic 57 Chevys.

While he's probably right, it doesn't stop people from asking (and sometimes getting) silly money for their cars because they saw one "sort of" like it go for big bucks in TV. That, and street rod guys are still looking to recoup some of their sizeable investments.
            No harm in asking for big bucks...the harm is when someone who doesn't know what something is really worth pays big bucks.

No law that says "car guys" can't be greedy or stupid.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wpsrea

Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson has done more to hurt the car hobby than help it. When the investors are gone, it will implode like real estate recently and before that the stock market. Remember the car hobby in the early '90's.
              Collector car auction/price expert Keith Martin says the market is healthy because it's being driven by "car guys" as opposed to investors. The stupid $1-2 million prices for rare muscle cars may cool a bit, but he doesn't think it will implode like the late 80s early 90s. He says there will always be a good market for desireable and quality cars. Plus some long neglected makes (like certain Studebakers) are finally catching up to the prices of other period cars...in other words, a Golden hawk is being where it should be as opposed to the generic 57 Chevys.

While he's probably right, it doesn't stop people from asking (and sometimes getting) silly money for their cars because they saw one "sort of" like it go for big bucks in TV. That, and street rod guys are still looking to recoup some of their sizeable investments.
              No harm in asking for big bucks...the harm is when someone who doesn't know what something is really worth pays big bucks.

No law that says "car guys" can't be greedy or stupid.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
              X