Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Avanti II --21K miles on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item19c1f03e85
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Nice car but too much for an Avanti II. I think that it the third time around on Ebay with no bids.

Comment

While I agree in principle about the market price, I contend it's probably the cheapest nice Avanti you could find. . Buy a 10K typical, tired Avanti and spend say 30K and you'd still not have a car that nice. If I was in the market for a keeper Avanti II, I'd be all over the ebay car, it's a bargain in that condition.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I would have to agree with JP on this one. After having several run-ins with Avantis lately, the nicer you can get it outright, the better. Working on these cars is definitely a labor of love and not a labor of profit. JP just did some calculations on the R2 we currently have getting ready for ebay, and found that it would cost well over $5000 to do an interior on an Avanti just to bring it to the condition of the car in this ad. I think one would be money ahead at $18,000. And I don't even have any skin in the game on this one.
        sigpicsals54

Comment

I wouldn't call 207 "...just over one hundred..."
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a '70 Avanti and did some research on production figures for that year. I've seen three different numbers for 1970...93, 99 and 117. I've never seen any number like 207 anywhere. I don't believe during the Altman era until Steve Blake bought the company they ever hit 200 cars in a single year. 1976 was the first year they sold 150 cars.

If that Avanti on Ebay is truly as advertised, it's a bargain compared to what it takes to bring a worn one to anywhere near that condition. One thing is right...you don't rebuild an Avanti for profit...you do it for the love of the car. Few can do what JDP does and make money...I'm sure he's learned a few hard lessons along the way.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              I have a '70 Avanti and did some research on production figures for that year. I've seen three different numbers for 1970...93, 99 and 117. I've never seen any number like 207 anywhere. I don't believe during the Altman era until Steve Blake bought the company they ever hit 200 cars in a single year. 1976 was the first year they sold 150 cars.
              I show the 1970 Avanti production broken into two parts, the RQA cars and the RQB cars (also 327 and 350 engines in 1970). There were 109 RQAs and 98 RQBs. That is how I came up with 207 for the 1970 model year.

I just looked in John Hull's Avanti book and he has the same production numbers for the 1970 model year (also broken out into two parts).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X