X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
    Knowing I probably will not own a car like the Stude Tomato or the Plain Brown Wrapper I would pay money for a 12sec ride in one of them Tom
    Well, Tom; you can thank the lawyers and our current litigious environment for that no longer being possible at The Pure Stock Drags.

For awhile, passengers were OK.
    Then they had to have helmets.
    Then no passengers in cars running under 14 seconds.
    Finally, of course, no passengers ever, period.

So much for Public Relations at 110 MPH (Page 12, November 2004 Turning Wheels). And we ask ourselves, "what can we do to get younger people interested in the hobby?"

I don't blame promoters Dan or Bob, of course, but our inability to ever again write that story about young Ryne Sanders' 2004 ride in The Plain Brown Wrapper grieves me. Every year at The Pure Stock Drags, Ryne and his Dad Paul find Camp Studebaker and happily remake the acquaintenceship...and you can be sure young Ryne talks up Studebakers anytime the topic is mentioned.

Forum decorum dictates that I quit now while I'm ahead, for I have much more on which to pontificate regarding this topic! <GGG> BP

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Knowing I probably will not own a car like the Stude Tomato or the Plain Brown Wrapper I would pay money for a 12sec ride in one of them

Tom

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    Definitely a compliment, Bob. I read the times and speeds and was VERY impressed with what Studebakers still do. Just amazing. I can't keep up with all of it and sure don't absorb all that knowledge, but the overall picture makes me very proud of what race professionals can do.

The work and skill of people like Ted and George have put Studebaker (and themselves) into the legend category.
    Thanks, Bob. There's more to come.

We couldn't fit The Tomato Certification Process report and photos in the January Turning Wheels, so it will be in either February or March...with an interesting sidebar about Steve Doerschlag taking promoter Dan Jensen for Dan's first-ever ride in an R-engined Studebaker on the street after Certification.

Suffice to say, yet to come is "the rest of the story" about what Steve's R1/4-speed Horizon Green Commander accomplished this year at The Pure Stock Drags...all beneficial and eye-opening.

Stay tuned...and "thanks for your support." BP

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Definitely a compliment, Bob. I read the times and speeds and was VERY impressed with what Studebakers still do. Just amazing. I can't keep up with all of it and sure don't absorb all that knowledge, but the overall picture makes me very proud of what race professionals can do.

The work and skill of people like Ted and George have put Studebaker (and themselves) into the legend category.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
    Has then been a date set for next years 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race?
    Tom
    Yes, Tom: The Official Dates for The 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race are Friday, September 16 and Saturday, September 17, 2011. As you see above, early arrival Check-In and Tech Inspection will be permitted Thursday afternoon, September 15.

At this time, it does not appear that any actual practice racing will be permitted Thursday, i.e., the drag strip itself will not be open for runs. However, by arriving and teching in Thursday, we'll be able to avoid the long lines Friday morning and "get right to it" once they open the strip for practice. They said the pit area will be secured and staffed with security Thursday night, so we'll be able to leave the cars and trailers at the strip before returning to the motel(s) for sleep Thursday night.

Many of us from central Indiana normally go up to Stanton Thursday anyway, so we'll probably leave a little earlier and take advantage of the late Thursday "check in & tech in." BP

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Has then been a date set for next years 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race?
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    Instead of making up words no one understands, Bob Palma makes up numbers that make my head spin.
    I'll take that as a compliment, Bob!

With no shootouts this year but many practice races and many personal accomplishments, the Pure Stock Drags Report necessarily tended a little toward the "who went how fast" side, rather than the "who beat what car" side.

The numbers are useful for showing non-believers just what Studebakers can do even when constrained by stock tires and street-legal, closed exhaust.

BTW, the promoters are making an allowance for potential rain trouble starting next year.

For The 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, the track will open Thursday afternoon for those who want to check in and get "teched" Thursday. That way, they will be ready to run when the track opens Friday morning, instead of having to first wait for "tech."

The track has not previously been open Thursday; everyone had to wait until Friday to register and "tech." With so many cars entering, the backup at the front gate and backlog at tech was becoming severe Friday morning, so they hope to alleviate the congestion (and will) by having "check in and tech-in" Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. BP

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    started a topic What I learned in the Jan. '11 TW

What I learned in the Jan. '11 TW

Instead of making up words no one understands, Bob Palma makes up numbers that make my head spin.

Buddy Wright's grandfather and my great-uncle must have known each other. And we're both sentimental.

Matthew is spending too much time driving too many Studebakers.

And the inside back cover is SOOOOO cool!!
Working...
X