Free SDC Membership Comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free SDC Membership Comment

This is not an attempt to hijack the very "Positive Thread" started yesterday by Jim, Bob & Jan. I am behind them 100% and salute their gesture.
    BUT! I would like to make a few comments of my own, which might be taken in a negative way by some members of this Forum (even though I am not intending to be be "Negative")So just in case.....I didn't want to put this post on their thread.
    Just some facts: (in no particular order)
    1. I joined the VCCC (Vintage Car Club of Canada) in 1974 at the ripe old age of 22. Did not have a Vintage car when I joined, but was looking for something. I was the youngest member in the club. Most members where way older. Thougth that they might help me find my project car......but ended up finding it on my own. The VCCC members did provide a lot of motivation and some shared their restoration skills and advice in the building of my 28 A roadster.
    2. Although I was keen enough to attend "ALL" of their events during the 15 months it took me to complete the restoration of my Roadster, It just wasn't the same as it was once I had my own car on the road.
    3. I also made the Car my # 1 priority during the build period, with the majority of my paycheck going into the car (understanding girlfriend & no kids)
    4. Build cost at the time was much lower than today but not out of line with the also much lower income.
    5. The key here was that I was not doing this to impress my friend or even be with them. I did it because of my nerver ending "LOVE" for old cars, and the VCCC members became my new friends. Since that time my life has revolved around my cars, the Hobby, and the Car Clubs I belong to.
    6. "Studebaker" so how many young people out there really have the enthusiasm, the drive, and devotion required to restore, drive, and participate in a club that is made up of "Much Older" members interested in a single Marque, that has not been built for over 40 years. And how many could be satisfied in attenting the type of events that the local chapters have without actually having a car of their own.
    7. It is tough! I actually joined the SDC in 1999 but only attended a couple of meetings and on e function before I realized that without a Studebaker on the road, it was not that much fun?? And "I am very dedicated". Joined again in 2010 and am loving it! But I do have a finished Studebaker that I drive about 5,000 to 6,000 miles each year and am currently building two more. Plus I love the Forum. It really expands the Club.
    8. CARS cost a lot to build these days.
    9. Young people have a different attitude towards cars than we over 50 year olds had at the same age. One of my early cars cost $10.00 to purchas and I had a lot of fun with it without being embarassed to drive it to school because thats what we all had back then.
    So I think the youth of today would require a higher end entry level build as their first car and MONEY issue will probably be a major deterent.
    10. Personally I feel the only young people that may follow along with the SDC are the grandchildren of the SDC members that have always known about grampa's Studebaker and that recieve said Studebaker from Grampa as either an inheritance or a gift when he is too old to drive it. And hopefully it is a good one that they will take pride in and learn to love before they actually have to start putting their own money into it.
    11. The SDC events: From what I have seen, its is mostly about the FOOD and the MEMORIES shared by long time SDC members that fuel SDC events. Young people are looking for something a little more active than that!
    Well There!
    Those are some of my thoughts and experiences.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

"The SDC events: From what I have seen, its is mostly about the FOOD and the MEMORIES shared by long time SDC members that fuel SDC events. Young people are looking for something a little more active than that!"

Wow, you've obviously attended one of our Ohio Region SDC meets all the way from B.C.!!

Just kiddin'. At 52, I'm one of those that enjoys the food and memories, but I can absolutely appreciate what you're saying.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

So Brian...

I agree with most of what you wrote and I do not take it as a "negative" comment, just your view of what you see (I am seeing similar things).

So... what can we do to change things to keep current members engaged and attract some new folks?
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Brian, I read your comments with interest and can't disagree with the observations.

However, When I was in Industry, my first good supervisor said "I'll take any comment and criticism but what I expect from you is to show up with solutions at the same time". The problem most of we non-historic older (68 here) Studebaker supporters have is how to grow the younger membership which I believe was the subject of Dylan's earlier post.

My fervent hope is that all these discussions and offers will move the SDC hierarchy toward courting younger members and the things this forum can do is to encourage this direction and, Hopefully, provide suggestions on the methodology to achieve same.

Good Roads to you also, Sir

Bob
        , ,

Comment

One thing that I suggest is a change to or elimination of music at SDC and other car events. Most of the events blast 1950s-1960s music. I really enjoy most of this music because that is what I grew up with. It is not the music to use if you are trying to attract younger people. Some places have the music too loud to carry on a conversation at the same time.

When I have discussed Studebakers with teens to 30 year olds on a one-to-one basis, I have generally received a very positive reaction. I try not to "preach" to them, but to enlighten them on history, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Bill, Mark, Bob & Gary.
            I know my ramblings were long and I didn't really make any suggestions for a solution. But I have also heard the "Music Comment" at our local level. For me music is not such a big deal as it has never played a big part of my life. I personally like 50's & 60's music, but I do agree it is not what we need to attrack younger people to the SDC. Just hope "Rap" music isn't what it will take....makes me want to kill something!
            As a member of a couple of Street Rod Clubs I have seen what is bringing the younger people back to that paart of the hobby. And it definitely is the back to the 50's & 60's in a big way. With the term "Rat Rods" and the Tatooed generation. Wow it is almost like a cult following that is changing the hobby. You can view it anyway you want Good or Bad for the future of Old Cars?
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

50s/60s music is before my time. But for those car events that play music, I could not imagine anything else! Just seems so right to play music from when the cars were in their heyday.

I like literally all types of music, but it would just seem odd to hear any other type. And this from a guy that rarely listens to 50s/60s music in any other setting.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
              X