OD trans expert advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD trans expert advice needed

Saw this on e-bay. Can anyone tell me if this will work in a 51 Champion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ADME:B:SS:MT:1

Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

No. [xx(] If nothing else, the tail shaft and housing are too long for a 1950 Champion. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

No. [xx(] If nothing else, the tail shaft and housing are too long for a 1950 Champion. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob - does that mean if the drive shaft were shortened it would work, or is it a completely different unit?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Bob - does that mean if the drive shaft were shortened it would work, or is it a completely different unit?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Paul,

It's easier to find the RIGHT tranny than to adapt this one.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Paul,

It's easier to find the RIGHT tranny than to adapt this one.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What StudeBob/Mr.Biggs said, Paul: There are 'way too many 1950-1952 Champion overdrive transmissions around to even remotely consider fooling with that one on e-bay. 'Way more trouble than it's worth. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

What StudeBob/Mr.Biggs said, Paul: There are 'way too many 1950-1952 Champion overdrive transmissions around to even remotely consider fooling with that one on e-bay. 'Way more trouble than it's worth. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Are the 50 thru 52 all compatible with my 51? Other than adjusting drive shaft length and controls, etc. would any 50 thru 52 bolt in relatively easily?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Are the 50 thru 52 all compatible with my 51? Other than adjusting drive shaft length and controls, etc. would any 50 thru 52 bolt in relatively easily?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

It is doable and has been done but, save yourself from headaches and expense. Find the correct transmission and bolt it in. It requires more than just shortening the driveshaft.[V]
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

It is doable and has been done but, save yourself from headaches and expense. Find the correct transmission and bolt it in. It requires more than just shortening the driveshaft.[V]
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Actually, Paul....there's a wider range of possibilities that THAT! If you get an O/D tranny from a '47 thru '54 (!) Champion, it'll bolt right in.[:0]

Now... the front driveshaft setion is shorter for the O/D-equipped cars. If you find a tranny but can't get that piece as well, I'm pretty sure I have one here you can have!
                            I actually HAVE a '50 O/D tranny here, but unless Anne Goodman were to give me the say-so, I couldn't part with it. She and her hubby have claimed it as a spare for her car, Mabel. Wouldn't hurt to ask tho.
                            I'd have to remove it from the car.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Actually, Paul....there's a wider range of possibilities that THAT! If you get an O/D tranny from a '47 thru '54 (!) Champion, it'll bolt right in.[:0]

Now... the front driveshaft setion is shorter for the O/D-equipped cars. If you find a tranny but can't get that piece as well, I'm pretty sure I have one here you can have!
                              I actually HAVE a '50 O/D tranny here, but unless Anne Goodman were to give me the say-so, I couldn't part with it. She and her hubby have claimed it as a spare for her car, Mabel. Wouldn't hurt to ask tho.
                              I'd have to remove it from the car.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X