51 Champiion Need Automatic Trans Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champiion Need Automatic Trans Linkage

Good evening. A previous owner disconnected the linkage running from the accelerator to the transmission governor, and the rod looks bent to me.

Does anyone have a linkage rod, the mount to the transmission, and associated bolts they would sell?
    It is a DG-200 according to the transmission plate, with a stock 169 6-cylinder engine, 4-door car if that makes any difference.

Regards,
    Clarence in Virginia Beach

I have one, but it comes with entire transmission.

Comment

I have 51 Commander with DG-200 Automatic. I will take a photo and post for your reference regarding what it should look like. I assume the linkage would be the same except for the linkage to the carburater.

Jim
      \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
      Jim Mann
      Victoria, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Thanks, Roy, but for now, I'm hoping to fix this one - it may only need the linkage put back on and the bands adjusted (I hope).

Jim - the linkage to the carb is all there, and I do have the rod and adjusting nut that hooks up to a bracket on the tranny
        governor, at the top of the tranny. What the previous owner removed (and I don't have) is the bracket at the governor,
        any bolts and such to attach it. And I'm suspicious that the still-intact rod to the governor from the accelerator pedal linkage
        may be bent (not sure until I try connecting it when I have the bracket).

In the Automatic Drive shop manual, on page 26, what I don't have are items (1) and (2) shown in Figure 60
        for the Governor Control Lever. Pics of yours would be helpful, and any leads on these parts.
        The adjustments I was trying to describe are on Page 25 for the 10G model, to adjust the governor control
        lever. I guess it does not actually adjust the engine idle, but has something to do with when the governor
        engages and disengages.

Thanks!
        Clarence in Virginia Beach

Comment

Hi Clarence,

It sounds like I will need to crawl under the car to get the shots you need. Unfortunately, the garage floor under the car is covered in kitty litter to absorb the oil & transmission fluid leaks. Next time I have the car out in the driveway I'll try to get some photos from below of these areas. The body is currently stripped down to bare steel so I'll have to wait for a non-rainy day.

When I get around to replacing my mushy motor and transmission mounts I will need to adjust a few things in my linkage as well.

Jim
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I don't have a usable garage, so I'm limited to warmer days here in VA. I very much appreciate your help.
            No rush - whenever you get a chance.

Regards,
            Clarence

Comment

Many thanks to all who replied. Turns out I have a DG-200 built for a 1954 Hudson behind my Stude 170 Six. Finally figured it out by the tranny serial number beginning with "HA" and the 11/17/53 tag on the extension housing. Now I will need to get a Hudson auto tranny manual and a governor bracket from a 54 Hudson - ordered the 51 Stude bracket, and that won't fit due to interference problems. Hope this is the last step with the linkage/governor, then get the bands adjusted.

Regards,
              Clarence

Comment

Interesting information, didn't know that Hudson used the Detroit Gear transmission.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It may be easier to obtain a Studebaker transmission, one Forum member said he had them in stock. You could likely sell yours to a Hudson owner then you'd both have transmissions designed for your vehicles.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John, if I can't find a bracket, I'll have to swap it for a unit built for Studes. But if I get the governor hooked up and the bands adjusted, I think it will work fine. Shifts well, but without the governor
                    hooked up it has the bogging down at idle while in gear problem described in the Stude Auto Drive Shop Manual.

I'll also have to price the tranny and shipping with those who have them for sale. I'd also have to get up to speed on installation - I remember reading about having to dial in some pins somewhere to prevent cracking the flex plate - not sure how difficult that is with the engine in the car.

Regards,
                    Clarence

Comment

That's a possibility, John, if I can't get the linkage sorted out. But my one response from a Hudson guy didn't show a lot of interest, since those were only used in 54, and not even all 54 Hudsons used the DG-200.
                      If I swapped it with a DG-200 made for Stude application, wouldn't I be able to leave the bellhousing and torque converter in place, just swapping the transmission itself, considering the tranny does shift through
                      its gears okay? That would sure simplify matters. If it's shifting okay, I guess the torque converter is working all right? Is there anything in a torque converter to go bad? Taking the tranny out seems pretty
                      straight-forward in the A. Drive shop manual, but removing the torque converter and/or bellhousing sounds like a bear.

Clarence

Comment

Update: I got the 1954 Hudson transmission manual that covers the DG-200, and it clearly shows it uses a governor lever like the 1953-54 Studes - the
                        one-piece lever and shaft unit that looks the same in the pic. The 53-54 Stude part will most likely work.

Regards,
                        Clarence

Comment

Working...
                        X