No announcement yet.

Studebaker Plant Photos- let's see 'em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Plant Photos- let's see 'em!

I've been enjoying the "let's see 'em" threads, and thought I'd try one of my own. What do you all have of the plants, inside and/or out, while they were in operation? We've seen many from more recent times, after closing; I'd enjoy seeing photos in better, operational times. To start with, does anyone have a better (bigger) copy of this one? It's always fascinated me:

So watchu got?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Photos of the plant/inside the plant is something I have really enjoyed for a long time also. I have a few pre 1963 photos. They are just copies, but if they don't get posted I will put them up.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I've enjoyed the assembly line photos that Richard Quinn shared with us a few months ago. It's especially intriguing if you see an exact model of Studebaker that you have and then think to yourself "could that be my actual car?".
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        I've been enjoying the "let's see 'em" threads, and thought I'd try one of my own. What do you all have of the plants, inside and/or out, while they were in operation? We've seen many from more recent times, after closing; I'd enjoy seeing photos in better, operational times. To start with, does anyone have a better (bigger) copy of this one? It's always fascinated me:

So watchu got?
        I believe that one is the rather common UPI press photo. Originals do show up on Ebay from time to time.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I believe that one is the rather common UPI press photo. Originals do show up on Ebay from time to time.

Craig
          It does, but every one I've seen is like this one, 4x6. I tried saving it to my computer and expanding it but that didn't work too well.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I've been enjoying the "let's see 'em" threads, and thought I'd try one of my own. What do you all have of the plants, inside and/or out, while they were in operation? We've seen many from more recent times, after closing; I'd enjoy seeing photos in better, operational times. To start with, does anyone have a better (bigger) copy of this one? It's always fascinated me:<<<
            There should be an abundance of "Studebaker in-action" type photos taken by Studebaker Corp. them self in the SNM Archives. Other photos, such as this "Dec. 9th" photo on eBay taken by the South Bend Tribune, may possibly be subject to copywriting laws.

Comment

Here's a couple I've got; not really of the plant specifically, but operations-related:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	59Larksindriveawaylot1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1666531
              Click image for larger version

Name:	59StudeYard.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1666530
              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

>>>
                So watchu got?

Comment

Welcome: is the car a '52 hardtop the guy is putting in the window? I thought for a bit it was a GT but the top of the door is wrong (vertical above the handle cutout). Ruled out '53-'58 hardtop since the barely visible C piller is sloped wrong. The window hardware is similar though.

Jeff in ND

Comment

It is a 1952 Starliner Hardtop, funny thing, the faint writing looks like it says 1953 but it could have been taken in 1951 or '52 but NOT '53!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So watchu got?
                      Did you note in your photo that the stars & stripes was still flying at half mast out of respect for President Kennedy who lost his life on Nov 22nd.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                        Welcome: is the car a '52 hardtop the guy is putting in the window?<<<

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                          Did you note in your photo that the stars & stripes was still flying at half mast out of respect for President Kennedy who lost his life on Nov 22nd.
                          I did. Somehow it adds to the overall feel of the scene for me. I was just over 2 years old. What dark times that must have been.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Here is one from one of the major magazines from 1946. There are many good color photos of the assembly process in the issue, as well asa diagram of the entire assembly process for the new 1947 cars, but I want to avoid copyright issues. Of course, if one were to Google something like "1946 Studebaker assembly" you could see many of these photos...

Last edited by garyash; 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM.
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
                            X