Gus has been feeling poorly lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gus has been feeling poorly lately

Well Gus has been working hard pulling a trailer of scrap metal. Bobby has had him working. Then I used him to move a bunch of stuff. Well he has been back firing acting up. So David showed Bobby how to adjust the points. He would run ok for a short while then he would act up again. They replaced the points and condenser. He seemed much better he only hiccuped every once in a while. When David drives him he behaves lawlessly. So today we were supposed to go to a Car show in Clovis it was a Toys for Tots Car Show entry fee was an unwrapped toy. It was raining so most of our friends couldn't bring their cars out. Their cars cannot get wet. Well ours we drive so Gus and the GoldenHawk made the trip.
    Well I got on the freeway with Gus David was following he's going along about 55 all of a sudden he backfires and the idiot lights come on so I try to get over to the right lane and he starts up. Well there are people merging in from the right and here Gus goes again. No place to pull over, finally a wide spot on the side of the freeway so I pull over. Gus has backfired and died again. Then he starts up and acts fine. So off we go again I'm on this transition overpass and Gus is just coasting cause he died again. So finally I'm at a place that I can exit the freeway coming up.
    Well since I restarted him with the key I thought that I would try something. I held a little pressure on the key like I was going to start it . Gus kept going no problem so I drove the rest of the way about 7 miles with my hand holding the key with a little pressure. I kept thinking about what could be Gus's problem and I remembered my first car a 1958 Chevy that when I went under this certain underpass . I used to turn the key off then back on and it would blow the muffler off. Well Gus was doing just that. When we stopped I told David what I had done and that I thought the ignition switch was his problem. So tomorrow he gets a new switch. I wanted to share this just in case anyone else had this problem so they could check their switch. Gus was a big hit as usual at the car show. We were at Clovis Volkswagen and they really loved to see the Studebakers
    Attached Files
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Gee, I wish Gus was going to be in Cars II....but apparently not, eh, Anne?

'Good you detected the ignition switch malady right off...and I suppose I should pass on making observations about owning a Chevrolet giving a person broader knowledge of potential automotive defects from which to identify possible troubles in their Studebakers! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I sure do hope the transplant works and Gus gets better. I luv that ole truck!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Gee, I wish Gus was going to be in Cars II....but apparently not, eh, Anne?

'Good you detected the ignition switch malady right off...and I suppose I should pass on making observations about owning a Chevrolet giving a person broader knowledge of potential automotive defects from which to identify possible troubles in their Studebakers! <GGG> BP
        Bob your comments hit the nail on the head. Thank you for your Observations.
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
          When David drives him he behaves lawlessly.
          Gus better hope the Sherrif isn't around when that happens!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hope he feels better, he's a real star!

And thanks for showing the Studebaker flag and supporting TFT.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

HMMN...Maybe he has a "wittle toothache"...perhaps a little pampering will help.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X