60 Hawk: Needs some work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Hawk: Needs some work...

I had just spent an hour or so looking at the 'You Drive What?', 'There, I Fixed It' and 'People of Walmart' sites, and watching $#*! My Dad Says online (such is my Saturday night), when during an E-commercial, I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...item3a612226af

I dunno if I would have done things in that order, but it has a certain je ne sais quoi about it. Your guess is as good as mine what the quoi is, but I find it oddly fascinating, ad copy and all.

I wanna see that 'custom leopard skin' headliner!
    Anybody want to inform this guy that he actually has a 3-speed automatic?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm always amused how these ads say "surface or minimal rust", then the photos show rust holes. What else you think that rattle can flat black paint could be hiding?

Comment

There's got to be a wanted poster out for this guy and whoever installed the leopard skin. It sure looks criminal to me.
        Stude Rookie

Comment

Rust is a lot less than would be typical for a rust belt car, so it's definitely a builder. And if he did all the work claimed, it's not that bad a deal if goes for a low enough price. It would probably need a paint job after the rust repair anyway, so the rattle-can black is a non-issue. Actually looks pretty clean and unmolested under the hood.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
            I'm always amused how these ads say "surface or minimal rust", then the photos show rust holes.
            In the Rust Belt, that IS surface rust. The difference here is that we understand it to mean both surfaces at the same time <g> with flow-through air drying capability at the edges <gg> REAL rust is where your Hawk or Lark actually flaps its 'wings' when you drive down the highway.

I've decided that I'm no longer going to inform people that the Stude V8 has a 3 speed automatic, or doesn't have a Ford V8, or that is isn't a Rambler. What I might do, if I was in the market, is inform them that they came from the factory with a 3 speed automatic, but if they are saying the transmission is now down to 2 gears no matter what you do, then I expect a discount because somewhere in the future I might have to rebuild that automatic <ggg>

I just dunno about that $500 interior upgrade. I just get the bad feeling that it might attract someone (male or female) who wears a matching thong, and not in a good way.

I had a few years ago a less rusty (but rust belt) 60 Hawk similarly equipped, but everything worked including the radio and the black paint was okay in certain lights and distances. The purchase price was 5K.
            Last edited by Jim B PEI; 12-05-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

My first car was a 60 Hawk, and if it was closer (and the price was right and I actually had the money!) I'd love to have this car.

But the leopard skin would have to go!
              Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

re: leopard skin,
                i didn't know superfly owned a stude!!!

the original "pimp my ride"?
                Last edited by Corvanti; 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                  In the Rust Belt, that IS surface rust. The difference here is that we understand it to mean both surfaces at the same time <g> with flow-through air drying capability at the edges <gg> REAL rust is where your Hawk or Lark actually flaps its 'wings' when you drive down the highway.
                  We used to have a chapter member that had a Lark with the nickname of Dumbo because it flapped its fenders as it drove down the road.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

LEAPIN' LEOPARDS !!!!! I'm seeing spots before my eyes. Whoeee, this is definately a California car.

Comment

Working...
                    X