58 commander VS. Starlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 commander VS. Starlight

Hey Guys i posted in a previous post that I may be buying a 58 Commander HT V8, Auto, & Factory air

Anyway I first would like to read up on them so anybody that can post any factory literature it would be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking at a TW and it showed a 58 Starlight HT or maybe it said Starliner not sure now, and I could not tell a bit of difference, same trim, paint schemes everything appeared to be identical other that color. What was the difference?
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

By '58, the Starliner name had been claimed by Ford and the "sedan hardtop" Studebaker was known as the Starlight.

Give me a call and I'll be more than happy to talk 58's. 912 253 three - oh - three - seven.

Comment

Nice car. Good luck. Someone has changed the 14" wheels for 15" and used 1964-1965 wheelcovers. 15" were a rare option on a 1958 Commander, but would not have used those later wheelcovers. A lot of people get confused on Starlight/Starliner for 1958 (the 1953-1954 hardtops are Starliners). Matt gave you the correct info. Factory air is rare in a 1958, especially in a Commander.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am going to inspect it personally this week, the guy has a lot of cars and is very old. All I have is his description and those three photos. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is actually a factory air car.
        John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

What would factory air be? I am assuming it would just be an under the dash unit? What barand ac would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
            What would factory air be? I am assuming it would just be an under the dash unit? What barand ac would it be?
            Hi 5859

According to Fred Fox's August 1991 1958 Sedans & Wagons TW article, page 12, the three air conditioning options were offered as follows:
            Air Conditioning, Novi, trunk, AC-2920, $275.00, (V8 Sedans only)
            Air Conditioning, Sutton, underdash, Champion, AC-2922, $325.00
            Air Conditioning, Sutton, underdash, V8, AC-2923, $325.00

If you buy the car, getting the build order from the SNM would be a good idea. From the photos, looks like a very nice solid '58 Commander hardtop, the most desirable body style. If it does turn out to be a well preserved original, please consider just cleaning and buffing it out, keeping it factory-built original as long as possible as a document of how South Bend built cars that year. Concession to adding a little flash, replace those later wheelcovers with a nice set of the 15" spoke covers frequently seen on Hawks.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X