I Don't Know; What Do You Think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Know; What Do You Think?

Could this possibly look more like the black Avanti(themed) sedan dreamcar?

Maybe if we crossed it with the Loraymo?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-quattroporte/

You need to take a break and get out of the sun for a little while Keoni.
    Jim Rostron

Comment

I agree with Keoni in that it has a similar look to the Avanti-like Studebaker sedan prototypes. I'm surprised that the Maseratti had rectangular headlights in 1965 as I thought that was a 1980's thing. Neat looking car, would look better with round headlights.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        I agree with Keoni in that it has a similar look to the Avanti-like Studebaker sedan prototypes. I'm surprised that the Maseratti had rectangular headlights in 1965 as I thought that was a 1980's thing. Neat looking car, would look better with round headlights.
        That car was designed by Frua, the same who designed the 1960 Frua Larks. The black Brooks Stevens Lark styling study also had retangular headlights.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Chryslers, Chevrolets and probably others went to rectangular headlights in the 1970s.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

European market cars had a lot more flexibility than US-market cars. From 1940 on, the ONLY acceptable headlight configurations were as follows in the US:

- two 7" sealed beams (1940-on)
            - four 5-3/4" sealed beams (1958-on)
            - two or four rectangular headlamps (197x-on)

it wasn't until 1983 that other headlamp configurations, including replaceable-bulb type "aero" headlamps, were permitted in the US. I used to have a set of euro-market headlights for a VW Scirocco, just to be cool (and see better - the ECE mandated beam pattern is much better as well.)

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
              European market cars had a lot more flexibility than US-market cars. From 1940 on, the ONLY acceptable headlight configurations were as follows in the US:

- two 7" sealed beams (1940-on)
              - four 5-3/4" sealed beams (1958-on)
              - two or four rectangular headlamps (197x-on)

it wasn't until 1983 that other headlamp configurations, including replaceable-bulb type "aero" headlamps, were permitted in the US. I used to have a set of euro-market headlights for a VW Scirocco, just to be cool (and see better - the ECE mandated beam pattern is much better as well.)

nate
              From what I remember, it was 1975 rectangular headlights were legal, and even then, they were still sealed beams. The first cars to have them were the full-size GM's. The 1984 Continental Mark VI was the first American car to have the composite headlights, but the Europeans had them years before. In Canada, composite headlights were always allowed as long as they were within the permitted candlepower, and it was not unusual to see some pre-1984 European cars that were sold new with them.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
                You need to take a break and get out of the sun for a little while Keoni.
                Youʻre probably right, but itʻs an addiction. Maybe I should start a new 12-step program...?

Comment

In the last month, have you worked on a Stude first thing in the morning to help recover from working on it the night before?

In the last 3 months, have you continued working on a Stude until you passed out?

Are more than 50% of your friends also Stude addicts?

In the last 3 months, have you taken a Stude to work to work on during your workday, or chosen a lunch restaurant because it serves Stude owners?

Do you hide your Stude work from any friends or family?

Have you failed to keep a promise to yourself or a loved one that you would quit working on that damn old thing?

Have you ever had trouble remembering what happened while you were working on a Stude?

In the last year, have you done anything while working on a Stude that you regret doing?

Do you find it difficult to stop after one or two Studes?

In the last year, have you wet the bed or wet your pants during or after working on a Stude? (Includes window regulators and cat-whiskers)

Have you ever woken up after working on a Stude in a strange place, or at home, but you don't remember how you got there?
                  I can't take credit for this. In 1982, Health & Safety sent us the AA question list as a "safety talk." As I gave the talk, my employees were kind enough to make the changes from "drinking" to "working," and for some years we were notorious for circulating "Are you a Workaholic?"

Comment

I saw this one on Bring A Trailer.
                    Somewhat similar, though the Avanti-themed cars were far more "swoopy" and had better behinds. The back end of the Quattroporte looks more like a Lark!

Really, the most awkward aspect of the Avanti-themed designs (IMHO) is the wheel placement so far inboard. Push 'em out nearly flush with the fenders and they'd look a lot better.
                    Everytime I mention them, I have to give another BIG PROPS to Dave Arnold for finding them!
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X