56 Golden Hawk - fuel pump won't pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Golden Hawk - fuel pump won't pump

Am tring to get a 56 Hawk running. Hasn't been started since '78. Am dealing with several issue's ... one being the fuel pump. Can remove the fuel pump and operate manually ... works fine ... reinstall, won't pump. Am pumping from a can of gas, not the cars gas tank. Can't tell from the service manual what drives the fuel pump ... I'm assuming the cam shaft. I'm thinking that the fuel pumps "Arm/lever" isn't contacting it's drive component or isn't traveling far enough ... no idea how this could be, though. Like I said I can manually operate the pump while off the motor ... works fine ... install the pump, no work.
    Any ideas? FYI, the engine is a Packard with a carter fuel pump (I believe).

Thanks.

The fuel pump is driven by a cam bolted onto the front of the cam. You can stick a long screwdriver in the hole and feel for the circular cam. You should be able to feel the top and bottom. Lay the blade of the screwdriver on top of the cam and lightly hold up on the handle against the top of the opening in the front cover. Have someone turn over the engine. You should be able to feel the handle of the screwdriver move up and down like a seesaw as the cam rotates.

Can you post a photo of the fuel pump from the side? I can probably tell if the right one is on there.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack, I'll try to get a pic of the pump online today sometime. Can the "fuel pump cam" come loose or break?

Comment

Never seen one break or come loose, but it could happen, I suppose.

Have you actually checked working the pump by hand but with the line connected to the carb? No chance the filter, line or whatever is plugged?
        PackardV8

Comment

Fuel pump pics:
          http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20fuel%20pump/

The pump works by hand, off the car ... lines are clear. Remount, no pump.
          See some wear on the end of the pump lever ( where it rides on the cam ).

Comment

That's different from any Packard pump arm I've seen. Tomorrow, I'll check the parts shelf to see if I've got one I can photograph for you. Could be it just isn't getting any movement from the cam.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

#1.) IIRC the pump can be mounted incorrectly ...meaning the arm is riding on TOP of the cam, rather than under it.

#2.) The hose is collapsing internally ...replace it

BTW, in another of your posts you mentioned getting this 56J running so you could sell it. How about sharing with us some details of that pending sale???

Comment

"#1.) IIRC the pump can be mounted incorrectly ...meaning the arm is riding on TOP of the cam, rather than under it."

Unable to picture this in my head ... if a cam lobe rotates 360 deg. how can the pump arm "not" be engaged when the cam comes around? (unless of course it's an improper fuel pump for the engine)
                Is there a schematic somewhere that shows these parts?

As for the pending sale: We recently inherited this car along with a 53 commander and a 55 speedster parts car. The GH was a daily driver up until '78. I don't believe has been run since it was parked. I'm assuming that nothing was altered while it was in storage and that it "ran" when it was put away. This was my father-in-laws. Thru the years he had restored quite a few cars, but only one Stude (55 speedster). He was beginning the restore of the commander when he passed. Not really sure what he had in mind for the GH though. It is fairly complete and has a few extra parts. The front fenders are rusted around the vents but I believe thats the worst of the rust (haven't looked for rust much yet) (might have 2 "no rust" fenders for it). The interior is complete and pretty clean. Will post ad's on the forum, craigslist and the local Stude's drivers club classifieds (seattle area). Here are some pics: http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...%20and%20cars/

Have an idea of what to ask for it based on others I've seen on ebay and other classifieds ... but don't have a firm $$$ in mind yet ... was considering ~$5k ... what do you think?

Comment

I'm with Jack on the pump being wrong. I believe the arm should be almost straight out without the bend in the end. The one you have looks like a Studebaker pump, not Packard.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Could it be that this is not the GH engine? The number stamped on the front drivers side is "5672-1315". I tried to look it up and came up with 56 Packard Executive. Maybe the wrong engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikebuild View Post
                      Could it be that this is not the GH engine? The number stamped on the front drivers side is "5672-1315". I tried to look it up and came up with 56 Packard Executive. Maybe the wrong engine?
                      Incorrect Packard engine for a factory installed 56J.

BTW, the actuation arm on a Carter and an AC fuel pump for the Packard engine look very different ...but they both will work.

PS: If you can provide the complete vehicle serial number from the plate spot-welded to the drivers side A-pillar, I can let you know what the originally installed engine seral number was.
                      Last edited by Welcome; 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X