Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood question, 1953 (Yes, '53, kinda)

Hey guys,

How hard it is to find a absolutely destroyed '53-54 C/K hood? It can have twisted corners, no corners, rusted out, ect; as I only need one part of it. Right in the front, where the emblem is. I need a big circle out of that area.

Reason being is I have a grouch with '52 hoods. They look "bulbous" in the front. I'm seriously considering giving it a make over, but I need that section to determine if I will or not. Or, even USE that kind of section.

So, is even trashed hoods worth a fair bit of dough? Or are they cheap, relativly speaking?

Thanks!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Hi Dylan
    You are up late. How about a 55 C/K hood? They are less expensive and by the looks of yours in the picture. You would only have to graft the peek onto the front of the hoof to fit your grill?? OR how about a 53 sedan hood? The length would be less of an issue???
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

The flat black looks like you are making progress.
      I know it rains there a lot......but you should really have a Convertible!
      Remember you are young and can stand the elements!
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I would LOVE a convertable; just it isn't a good idea. This rod will be the jump and go whenever driveway car

Hmmm. A '55 center shall be considered, but it isn't quite what I have in mind. All I want is that center peak area, yes. I want some sort of bulge there, and I thought the one from a '53 style would be perfect, but not so far out and pronounced as a stock '52.
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan, as a person that sells parts yes the 53-54 c/k hoods are worth money in any shape you know they don't make these any more so is getting to the time in their life that they need to be saved and repaired, a good body man can repair most anything metal, I have one left with rot in the nose but once repaired it is worth a lot so even in it's stated it still has value, good luck, might want to find a 53-54 sedan it should fit better and give much the same look...Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

The sedan ones were considered, but the section I want is still too pronounced. I guess I'll just keep my eye's peeled for a parts car getting ready to be crushed......

Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

My grandad has a '54 coupe parts car with a mangled, rusted out hood. But, we're in Georgia.

Comment

Dang......

Maybe if I can't find anything else up here that I could cut up, I'll talk to you two......
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan

If all you need is a small portion of the hood, Why not mock it up out of cardboard to get the profile and then cut it out of sheet metal and weld it in place. It's like body work, you can contour the pieces, weld them together and put them where you need them. If you need to shape them more, you can bend them over pieces of pipe or fill a tough bag with sand and beat them to the proper shape with a plastic hammer. The only cost is a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal and no hood sacrificed.

You are also learning body work.

Bob

Comment

You should embrace the bulbous hood. Think of it as a bullet nose in a cashmere sweater.
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

If all you need is a small portion of the hood, Why not mock it up out of cardboard to get the profile and then cut it out of sheet metal and weld it in place.
                      Three possibilities:

1. Start with a '53 hood, as you suggested.
                      2. Use sheet metal, as bob suggested.
                      3. Walk through a U-Pick yard with a good eye. I've worked with a custom body guy who could see the curves and creases he needed in the strangest places.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Walk through a U-Pick yard with a good eye. I've worked with a custom body guy who could see the curves and creases he needed in the strangest places.
                        As usual from Jack, another great suggestion. Just a word of caution. If you find sheet metal this way, try to go as old as you can. The newer sheet metal is quite thin, warps easily and can be a bear to weld well.

Bob

Comment

I saw a '54 station wagon (same hood as sedan) under construction this summer. The builder had made a "pie cut" and reduced the bulge at the front of the hood. It looked more like a c/k that way. I don't know if he wants to share "trade secrets" or not, maybe he'll see this and post a pic.? It might work on your stock hood, or you could find one from a '53-'54 sedan.
                          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

How about making a fiberglass copy of the section that you want from a good hood and then attaching that to your existing hood (with the necessary part cut out)?
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I got a solid hood, but it aint cheap. It is also simply too nice to destroy.
                              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                              Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X