Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many 232's in Original Car Still Running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many 232's in Original Car Still Running?

The "How many cars like yours?" thread got me thinking about the above question. In fact, does anyone know of any customs with their original 232 V-8 engine? Obviously, our custom is a one-of-a-kind on the outside and I am curious as to how unusual our keeping the original drive train is. Our custom work originally was done 1955-60. Thanks.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
    https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

alot more than you think

There are several in my area. and, there are many hot rod fords etc running a stude to be different.

Comment

My '52 custom has it's still alive and present (And STAYING I might add. With all the people I have told about that car, they always tell me to put in a later engine. Just to break the mold and be a rebel, it SHALL NOT get a 259 or 289, OR SBC, if I have my way. Ok rant over........)
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Mine is still running great never had the heads off and won my class at the Newport Hill Climb.

Comment

My 4 door not a custom but Dylan's does not look much like a custom either just no hub caps, my 4 door is a good running commander with 3 speed and overdrive , I have a set of fin valve covers and a 2X2 manifold waiting to go on then it can be a custom.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I have a '51 and a '53. I have engine numbers that match. Unfortunately, when all the '51 needed was an engine rebuild the '53 needed much restoration and engine was locked up. I decided to rebuild the locked '53 engine while I could still drive the tired '51 then put the '53 engine in it.
            When I finally started disassembling the '53 for restoration I had at my disposal a recently rebuilt 289. So, I still have the '51 232 on a stand in my garage.
            Suffering convolutions!
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Up until this year, my '55 E12 was running the original-never-touched 224" V8. All it would have needed to go another fifty years would have been hard exhaust seats and new valve stem seals.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

My '51 Land Cruiser just turned 59,000 miles this year. It is still sporting its original 232. The only change made was to put a later model timing cover (which required changing the water manifold to a '55 to clear the fuel pump hump) with the neoprene crank seal to stop the oil leak. I just put a blank cover over the fuel pump hole in the later timing cover. Far as I know, the engine still has its original valve cover gaskets in place.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  My 4 door not a custom but Dylan's does not look much like a custom either just no hub caps, my 4 door is a good running commander with 3 speed and overdrive , I have a set of fin valve covers and a 2X2 manifold waiting to go on then it can be a custom.
                  Hmm, guess it's time to update my pictures! Haha! It looks much different than in that first photo.......
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

custom? fast? blow it out your @ass

My moneys on the kid to be more cool and custom than most 52's left in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Up until this year, my '55 E12 was running the original-never-touched 224" V8. All it would have needed to go another fifty years would have been hard exhaust seats and new valve stem seals.

jack vines
                      And a new driver! Sorry Jack couldn't resist....but we must face facts!
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        My '51 Land Cruiser just turned 59,000 miles this year. It is still sporting its original 232. The only change made was to put a later model timing cover (which required changing the water manifold to a '55 to clear the fuel pump hump) with the neoprene crank seal to stop the oil leak. I just put a blank cover over the fuel pump hole in the later timing cover. Far as I know, the engine still has its original valve cover gaskets in place.
                        This all sounds good, but I put over 60,000 miles on my Stude in the last 6 years, not the last 60 years. So I guess the question here is how do you plan on driving your car and how much! Remember very few of them ever break down in the Garage! It is usually on a lonely piece of road somewhere. So build your the best that you can!
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

My 51 still has the 232 in it. It only has 35000 original miles. I did put later heads on it and dual exhaust. It's not really a custom although I did have finned aluminum valve covers on it for a while
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

very few of them ever break down in the Garage! It is usually on a lonely piece of road somewhere.
                            In more than fifty years of driving Studes, not one has ever let me down from an engine failure. The '55 E12 224" still had the original carburetor, fuel pump, generator and starter. It did get one new water pump. It definitely needed valve stem seals and hard exhaust seats. The 4-speed trucks spin at very high RPMs on the highway and are the ones which will suffer exhaust valve recession after many years of unleaded fuel.

The external accessories rarely fail suddenly; 99% of the time, they deteriorate gradually and give plenty of warning before failing completely. When I help a stranded Stude owner, usually he will admit, "Yeah, I knew that needed replacing, but I just hadn't gotten around to it." The V8 engines are essentially bulletproof. If they've been given fresh oil, coolant and a tuneup every year, they'll be running longer than most of us.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

I agree with Jack. Here's my 53 sedan with original engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X