technical support, some good and some bad examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• technical support, some good and some bad examples

Now and then we contact a supplier for a specific technical question, you have certainly some examples to share. Here is one of mine; sent info on my engine to Mallory asking "how come there is no vacum advance on my Mallory Unilite Ignition, can it be added?" I expected something like "no vacuum advance is strictly a racing application, and vacuum improves mpg and driveability, can be added with part # xxxx or complete distributor part #xxx".
    This is what I got, "Some have them, some don't... It depends on what the customer wanted when he bought the unit new.."
    That makes it really clear!

I pity the CASO customer service person.
    It's like herding cats.
    "Hi, I bought this 'X' at a swap meet ten years ago for $x, and it is missing a "*" (* add whatever it was here).
    'Tis a tough thing.
    I've been working on an Avanti for a few days, and it is entirely without any support.
    No manuals, no parts books, no nuthin...
    And it is a mongrel of collected parts.
    Pretty, but not easy to do research on.
    In some ways, I understand the reply you received.
    Did you give him the Mallory number off of the distributor?
    What was he supposed to say?

Originally posted by long1776 View Post
    Now and then we contact a supplier for a specific technical question, you have certainly some examples to share. Here is one of mine; sent info on my engine to Mallory asking "how come there is no vacum advance on my Mallory Unilite Ignition, can it be added?" I expected something like "no vacuum advance is strictly a racing application, and vacuum improves mpg and driveability, can be added with part # xxxx or complete distributor part #xxx".
    This is what I got, "Some have them, some don't... It depends on what the customer wanted when he bought the unit new.."
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by long1776 View Post
      Wow, it sounds like you talked to a human. Maybe even one who speaks real English! Congrats! ;-)
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

What I had expected, was to have either a part# for a vacuum canister to be added to the existing setup, or, if not available, a replacement distributor with vacuum advance. If it had been a nice day he could also have filled in some info about advance curves for vacuum advance vs. wo/ vacuum advance. Instead of continuing with the Mallory tech rep I took the phone, called longdistance from Europe to the US and had a salesman from one of the vendors give me all the information I needed. Problem solved.

Comment

What isn't clear is if this an ignition you just bought new, by accident, or one you simply inherited? If you just bought it, they could have simply asked, "Why? We have the right one."
          Should have called Dave Thibeault on an international phone. He would have known the correct answer, but he may have asked you diplomatically why you have the wrong one, too.

Comment

Working...
          X