Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56 golden hawk on ebay ... what's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    I bought this Mocka and Doeskin 56j about 8 years ago from out of Victa Ville in CA for around $7500 when the OZ dollar was 75% to the US, so it cost me about 10K OZ. The car was a one owner with about 60K miles on the clock, and zero rust. Trouble with the pink and white car on ebay it had been stored for so many years on a dirt floor and with the rising damp creeping up through the frame it hasn't done it much good, with such low miles it should have been in a lot better condition, rust wise.

]
    Sometime during its life, the wheelcovers were changed to 1957s.

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    I bought this Mocka and Doeskin 56j about 8 years ago from out of Victa Ville in CA for around $7500 when the OZ dollar was 75% to the US, so it cost me about 10K OZ. The car was a one owner with about 60K miles on the clock, and zero rust. Trouble with the pink and white car on ebay it had been stored for so many years on a dirt floor and with the rising damp creeping up through the frame it hasn't done it much good, with such low miles it should have been in a lot better condition, rust wise.

MG]http://[/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Didn't all Stude cars of 56 have those belts?
    Only cars with the fairly rare option of seat belts. Seat belts weren't standard equipment as in later years. If you mean type, yes this was the only type offered for 1956.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Wow, hope the poor fit that just paid near $13k for a car needing everything doesn't find out he could have had a nice one for $4k more
    There will always be a market for nice, unmolested examples even if they'll cost more in the long run. Factor in the optimistic restoration budget estimates and they find a home. I've been doing this for over 50 years and I still get sucked in. i.e., when I bought a solid 57 GH for $3500, I was convinced I'd finish it for 10K, but spent 20K. Just two years ago, I budgeted 4K to finish the restoration of Sid after the PO spent 50K and missed by more than 6. It's all about the desire to save the car, otherwise most restorations would never get done, folks would just buy done cars..

Leave a comment:

• Welcome
    replied
    The pretty-in-Pink ($13K) and the pretty-in-Yellow ($17K) …BOTH are special 56Js in their own respect!!!

Actually, both have some of the same “issues” including:

Incorrect tires,
    Incorrect wipers
    Incorrect wiring under hood
    Incorrect exhaust
    Incorrect oil filler cap
    Incorrect line to fuel filter
    Incorrect upper radiator hose clamp
    Incorrect battery
    Incorrect Carb. linkage return spring
    Incorrect/damaged radio antenna

…BUT again, they are BOTH special 56Js in their own respect!!!

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Dont know about California built Golden Hawks but my California built 55 Conestoga has several different things than a 55 South Bend car.

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    I have bought cars that I would have paid $4K more for if they hadn't been spiffied up. They looked good, but to really finish them off, I had to go in and take out what a previous owner had fixed. Not saying there is any problem with the $17K car. In fact, from the looks of them, it will be tough to get the body on the 13K car up to the 17K car level, let alone paint, mechanical, and interior.
    Last edited by jlmccuan; 11-25-2010, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Man, I love that Rosebud and white color scheme. Way back in the early '90's, I remember seeing a restored example of one that color, that had been done by Craig Piper at Westmoreland Studebaker and was owned by a fellow named Bill from Jeanette, PA...that's all I can remember. I haven't seen the car in years and years though.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Wow, hope the poor fit that just paid near $13k for a car needing everything doesn't find out he could have had a nice one for $4k more
    Well, I dunno....it's a tossup. Neither one of them has a battery hold-down, but the one in San Francisco doesn't have snow tires, either. BP

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Wow, hope the poor guy that just paid near $13k for a car needing everything doesn't find out he could have had a nice one for $4k more
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 11-25-2010, 10:36 AM. Reason: Unexplainable spelling error

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Final bid $12,661.01.
    At $17K, this one seems a better deal, IMO: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2077899168.html

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Yes, but they were most common on the GH. I've seen them on several Sky Hawks, but not personally on a Power Hawk, Flight Hawk, sedan or wagon.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by alanmende View Post
    Did anyone notice the seat belts? Aircraft style buckles with the outer end attached to the door. So if the door pops open in a wreck, out you pop, too.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    FWIW, while that is a design which did not survive the test of time, ask some of the '56J folks who own one. When the belts are fastened, the door can't pop open.

jack vines

It's actually hyped as a feature by keeping the door shut in a crash. BTW, I still have a few sets of the correct seat belts left, just tan and red left.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Did anyone notice the seat belts? Aircraft style buckles with the outer end attached to the door. So if the door pops open in a wreck, out you pop, too.
    FWIW, while that is a design which did not survive the test of time, ask some of the '56J folks who own one. When the belts are fastened, the door can't pop open.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X