Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56 golden hawk on ebay ... what's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 golden hawk on ebay ... what's it worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...item2a0bea741e

Curious ... what's your guestimet ... how much should this sell for (or will sell for)?

Well, as usual, the seller knows what it is worth to him and the high bidder knows what it is worth to him, so those are the only two valid opinions at this juncture. Obviously, we'll find out shortly if the opinions of those two parties are close enough that the car changes ownership. <GGG>

That said, this car looked like it hadn't seen the light of day for sometime, so I corresponded with our 1956 Golden Hawk guru, Frank Ambrogio, about it. Surprisingly, that Serial Number was yet to be recorded and verified by Frank as an extant car, so he was glad to be able to add that Serial Number to his list of known, surviving 1956 Golden Hawks.

Frank added that the Rosebud / Snowcap two-tone was only a late-production offering, added when Tangerine / Snowcap was discontinued. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Worth ???? Maybe 10K based on restortaion cost, but might go for 13-14K. N8 and I bought a barn car like that one for $3500 a few years back and I told N8 we'd split the profit for his sweat equity. He spent maybe 2 weekend on it and got it running/driving, and it sold for north of 15K. You never know. BTW, I tossed in a 7K bid and did not hit the reserve, so the guy knows what he has.
      Last edited by JDP; 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Looks like a great project for someone, but it sure is PINK!
        Jeff DeWitt
        http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

If I had the money I'd buy it, pink and all. The '56 Golden Hawk is one of my dream cars and that one sure looks nice. I'd like to see it with a dual quad intake and a pushbutton trans ala` '56 Packard though.

If I ever end up with a Hawk it'll probably end up with the 374 that's under my bench in the garage as well as the pushbutton Ultra in my '56 Patrician parts car. Might do it to a Lark if I get one of those instead, lol! "Packard Lark", LMFAO!

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            Worth ???? Maybe 10K based on restortaion cost, but might go for 13-14K.>>>You never know. BTW, I tossed in a 7K bid and did not hit the reserve, so the guy knows what he has.
            Agree ...between $10 & $14K. It appears to be generating a lot of interest by the number of different bidders. In addition to what BP (with input from Frank A.) added; this 56J was built two days before production ended and appears to have "very late model changes" on it that were not fully documented. Apparently Studebakers did some "last minute substituting" to get the last ones off the assembly line.

BTW, did anyone else get the impression the "eBay Seller" is just doing this for the Original Owner who still happens to be around??? The stories the OO could tell, plus original documents and old photos definitely would add value IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
              [COLOR="blue"]Agree ...between $10 & $14K. It appears to be generating a lot of interest by the number of different bidders. In addition to what BP (with input from Frank A.) added; this 56J was built two days before production ended and appears to have "very late model changes" on it that were not fully documented.
              Indeed. Here is additional information from Frank Ambrogio:

"One thing I did notice was the V-8 emblem on the front fender. This was a late year addition, but I never knew where the emblems were mounted. I've seen V-8 emblems on several cars that were built before the emblem was introduced. One was on the front fender in front of the wheel well. Another was mounted on the fin of all places. This car is so close to the end of production, that it probably came from the factory with those emblems right next to the Studebaker script."

That is kind of funny when you stop to think about it: Beginning with 1957 Studebakers, the checkered-flag emblem represented the larger of the two V-8s; the 289. But in 1956, the emblem without flags here represented the comparatively-huge 352 engine!

Then, in 1964, the checkered-flag emblem represented the smaller 259 V-8 on South-Bend-built 1964 Daytonas equipped with the base V-8 engine!

The amusing upshot: Over nine model years, the non-flag emblem represented the largest V-8 engine and the flag emblem represented the smallest at one time or another! BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 11-18-2010, 04:48 AM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                >>>That is kind of funny when you stop to think about it: Beginning with 1957 Studebakers, the checkered-flag emblem represented the larger of the two V-8s; the 289. But in 1956, the emblem without flags here represented the comparatively-huge 352 engine!
                Then, in 1964, the checkered-flag emblem represented the smaller 259 V-8 on South-Bend-built 1964 Daytonas equipped with the base V-8 engine!<<<BP
                Also kind of funny in a sad way was how the “Top Dogs” at Studebaker had a habit of putting their “personal marks” on the cars.

It was actually Messer’s Churchill & Keller who directed the Engineering Dept. to add those V-8 front fender ornaments late in the 1956 model production run. As if having Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing, Materials Depts. and Vendors all jumping through hoops late in production thereby adding more cost wasn't enough, they even wanted TWO different V-8 ornaments; p/n 1314805-W for all 1956 models except C/K and p/n 1314806-W for C/Ks ONLY!!!
                Last edited by Welcome; 11-18-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

For me personally, the '56J is the ne plus ultra of Studebakers. I'd love to have an Ultramatic for an everyday driver and an overdrive with the Jet Stream package 374" for a hot rod. Having said that, I'd never invest in the restoration of another one if getting my money back someday was of any concern. There are several excellent cars which today or soon can be bought for much less than the cost of this car plus the restoration.

Let's hope it goes to someone who can afford to restore it. Although, I guess we owe the original owner some thanks for preserving it all these years, even if he never restored it.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I looked at the car yesterday and talked to the seller. The seller is a dealer here in Mn. Seemed pretty straight forward. The car has had 2 owners and is being sold for the second owner. Car looks complete complete but will need a lot of work. Floor felt soft on the front right side. Couldn't lift carpet to see the extent of it. Left side was sold with paint still on it. Paint looks orig.. Valve cover and air cleaner have been off for quit so time.
                    Klif
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

My favorite model & year of Hawk and I like the colors too! And, it's only 45 miles away! But I can't afford another project at this time (lack of money, time and space). I hope it gets a good home and restored soon as I feel that it's one of Studebakers finest cars.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Frank added that the Rosebud / Snowcap two-tone was only a late-production offering, added when Tangerine / Snowcap was discontinued. BP
                        There was a '56 Golden Hawk in that same color combination at the International Meet in 1988 in South Bend. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if its the exact same car, even though he states it was parked (and rather poorly) for "25 years".

Craig

Comment

Two interesting things I saw on the car were the body color trunk floor (Rosebud) and the single rear passenger side "Curb Alarm " (feeler) SP-50023. Would it have been common back then to only have a single Curb Alarm?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Radsman View Post
                            Two interesting things I saw on the car were the body color trunk floor (Rosebud) and the single rear passenger side "Curb Alarm " (feeler) SP-50023. Would it have been common back then to only have a single Curb Alarm? Don
                            Actually the Production Order for that 56J does NOT list SP-50023, "Curb Alarm." Perhaps the original owner (the actual seller) can shed some light on how that one got there???

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                              Worth ???? Maybe 10K based on restoration cost, but might go for 13-14K.<<<
                              http://tinyurl.com/2ey5soj

Well, JDP was right-on again!!!
                              Last edited by Welcome; 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X