Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56 golden hawk on ebay ... what's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side V-8 emblem

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Indeed. Here is additional information from Frank Ambrogio:

"One thing I did notice was the V-8 emblem on the front fender. This was a late year addition, but I never knew where the emblems were mounted. I've seen V-8 emblems on several cars that were built before the emblem was introduced. One was on the front fender in front of the wheel well. Another was mounted on the fin of all places. This car is so close to the end of production, that it probably came from the factory with those emblems right next to the Studebaker script."

That is kind of funny when you stop to think about it: Beginning with 1957 Studebakers, the checkered-flag emblem represented the larger of the two V-8s; the 289. But in 1956, the emblem without flags here represented the comparatively-huge 352 engine!

Then, in 1964, the checkered-flag emblem represented the smaller 259 V-8 on South-Bend-built 1964 Daytonas equipped with the base V-8 engine!

The amusing upshot: Over nine model years, the non-flag emblem represented the largest V-8 engine and the flag emblem represented the smallest at one time or another! BP
    The V-8 on the front fender has been a subject of discussion at many of the La Palma meets where I brought my Sky Hawk. Not everyone believed that it was not an "add-on". All I can say that it was on the car when I purchased it in Albuquerque in 1968, and the original clips in the holes are also same as when I purchased it. The car was assembled at the Vernon, CA plant, and I have the build sheet somewhere, probably in a file in California.

I think the GH pictured is nice, at a fair price, and would be a fairly easy restoration. I hope whoever bought it joins SDC does an authentic restoration, as everything is there. You don't find barn cars like that very often in Minnesota, where any car that is driven for a few years or more will be rusted out underneath.

Right click on thumbnail to see more of my car. Jack in Montana, 10 inches of show, 10 below zero today.

sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Comment

Going to look at a 56 GoldenHawk on Friday
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anyone know who bought this "pretty in pink' Golden Hawk?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Did anyone notice the seat belts? Aircraft style buckles with the outer end attached to the door. So if the door pops open in a wreck, out you pop, too.
          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
          Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Did anyone notice the seat belts? Aircraft style buckles with the outer end attached to the door. So if the door pops open in a wreck, out you pop, too.
            FWIW, while that is a design which did not survive the test of time, ask some of the '56J folks who own one. When the belts are fastened, the door can't pop open.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              FWIW, while that is a design which did not survive the test of time, ask some of the '56J folks who own one. When the belts are fastened, the door can't pop open.

jack vines

It's actually hyped as a feature by keeping the door shut in a crash. BTW, I still have a few sets of the correct seat belts left, just tan and red left.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by alanmende View Post
                Didn't all Stude cars of 56 have those belts?
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Didn't all Stude cars of 56 have those belts?
                  Yes, but they were most common on the GH. I've seen them on several Sky Hawks, but not personally on a Power Hawk, Flight Hawk, sedan or wagon.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Final bid $12,661.01.
                    At $17K, this one seems a better deal, IMO: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2077899168.html
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Wow, hope the poor guy that just paid near $13k for a car needing everything doesn't find out he could have had a nice one for $4k more
                      Last edited by Bob Andrews; 11-25-2010, 10:36 AM. Reason: Unexplainable spelling error
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        Wow, hope the poor fit that just paid near $13k for a car needing everything doesn't find out he could have had a nice one for $4k more
                        Well, I dunno....it's a tossup. Neither one of them has a battery hold-down, but the one in San Francisco doesn't have snow tires, either. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Man, I love that Rosebud and white color scheme. Way back in the early '90's, I remember seeing a restored example of one that color, that had been done by Craig Piper at Westmoreland Studebaker and was owned by a fellow named Bill from Jeanette, PA...that's all I can remember. I haven't seen the car in years and years though.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

I have bought cars that I would have paid $4K more for if they hadn't been spiffied up. They looked good, but to really finish them off, I had to go in and take out what a previous owner had fixed. Not saying there is any problem with the $17K car. In fact, from the looks of them, it will be tough to get the body on the 13K car up to the 17K car level, let alone paint, mechanical, and interior.
                            Last edited by jlmccuan; 11-25-2010, 04:22 AM.
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dont know about California built Golden Hawks but my California built 55 Conestoga has several different things than a 55 South Bend car.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The pretty-in-Pink ($13K) and the pretty-in-Yellow ($17K) …BOTH are special 56Js in their own respect!!!

Actually, both have some of the same “issues” including:

Incorrect tires,
                                Incorrect wipers
                                Incorrect wiring under hood
                                Incorrect exhaust
                                Incorrect oil filler cap
                                Incorrect line to fuel filter
                                Incorrect upper radiator hose clamp
                                Incorrect battery
                                Incorrect Carb. linkage return spring
                                Incorrect/damaged radio antenna

…BUT again, they are BOTH special 56Js in their own respect!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X