Tire confusion. (Tires & Wheels)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire confusion. (Tires & Wheels)

I have a 1949 Champion 4 door with 6.40X15 tires. Beautifull wide whites. I want to switch ti radial wide whites and am somewhat confused as to what would be the best size and manufacturer to get.
    Some feedback would be appricated.
    Jerry

Is there something wrong with the Coker tires? That SHOULD be the about best repop wide white out there, even though too expensive.

I see their Firestone copy in 6.70 X15 with a 3 1/4 in. Wide Whitewall, stands 28.58 in. tall, WAY too tall, AND it's a Bias Ply, but I can't find a 6.40 X15.
    Those cost a hefty $152.00 each.
    http://store.cokertire.com/670-15-fi...wall-tire.html

OK, I found another option, a bit closer. This is an American Classic from Coker, in 195X75R15 Radial with only a 2 1/4 in. Whitewall, perfect for '55 to '62 Studes. but a bit too narrow for a '49. These are closer at 26.50 in. tall, They WOULD look good though! Of course for a bit more, like $187.00 ea.
    http://store.cokertire.com/p195-75r1...whitewall.html
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

'Pretty risky if you are going to retain the 4-lug Champion wheels. They are known to crack around the lug nut holes anyway due to old age and/or fatigue, and stressing them further with radial tires is asking for trouble.

Investigate the widths and availability of Fox-body 4-lug Fairmont/Zephyr/Mustang wheels that were designed for radials from the get-go. A friend of mine has his project 1950 Champion rolling around the garage on 4-lug Fairmont wheels, so I know they'll work. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Use the Fairmont wheels. They look better. And the best I remember the 49 tire was not 640 15. If I can find my 48 book I will post it.

Comment

My book calls out 550-15 tire for the Champion and 650-15 for the Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
            My book calls out 550-15 tire for the Champion and 650-15 for the Commander.
            The 650s from that era were considerably larger than the later 6.40 and 6.50x15s. They were replaced by 7.10s and the 550s were replaced by 6.00s/6.40s.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I found a rather odd company, Diamond Back Classic Tires, who brings in 185/80R15 from the orient, Removes the original identification and vulcanizes just about any size whitewall you want. Reading there literature they really sound convincing. Has anyone had any experience with there tires?
              Jerry

Comment

I have checked them out as well, and want a set for my wagon. However, I do not believe they import most tires of there's. Unless things have changed however.
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Diamond Back is a top notch tire company with a few patents others do not have for their white wall process. You will not be let down except when you have to pay for them! Not cheap.
                  They can make them from any tire brand that you desire. They may suggest that Hankooks (Korea and Hungary) are the best quality and longest wearing tread (Hankook is about 10% owned by Michelin) for the white walls. F*rd & GM, among others use them. Their white wall covers up any name brand on the front, so only the back of it has the name showing. Again, you can request and pay accordingly for any brand that you want. Their white wall lasts longer than the Cokers that we have tried around here.

A little tip: Always check the date code on your tire purchases, some vendors may try to slip you old ones. For that price they better be fresh.

Comment

I have a friend in the packard club who owns a 55 caribbean and he swears by diamond back. He stated they place a barrier between the black tire and their white wall insert that prevents the black from bleeding through to the white wall
                    as is the case with other radial tires. You simply cannot get them very white. Next time I buy I'm going with diamond back.

Don
                    don

Comment

I have wide white Diamond Back tires on my 53 and am very pleased with them. I have had less than satisfactory experience with Coker wide whites, I've gone through 3 sets on the front and one set on the back where the whitewalls have either bubbled or cracked. I also had a ply separation on one of the front ones. Their customer service is great and they have replaced them (pro-rated) each time, but I want something that will last. My car only gets 3-4000 miles a year, it is always garaged and I take good care of my tires (no bleach!). Having tires mounted and balanced gets expensive after a while. The Diamond Backs that I have are Yokohama performance tires which is what they were using at the time, now they have gone to BF Goodrich Radial T/As for their performance tires. My only complaint is they only sell direct and shipping tires from North Carolina to the left coast is expensive.

http://www.dbtires.com/
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hey Guys
                        This trend is a bit old. What size and company would you recommend for 1950 Champion tires?

Thanks
                        Ron

Comment

Someone told me a 6.7 X 15 (original on Avanti's, the 6.7 being the sidewall height, so 6.7 X 2 plus the wheel diameter) tire has a 28.4 diameter or height. If that is correct then you need a tire that diameter or height for the speedometer to be correct and the car to sit at the right height. Am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by MARC212 View Post
                            Someone told me a 6.7 X 15 (original on Avanti's, the 6.7 being the sidewall height, so 6.7 X 2 plus the wheel diameter) tire has a 28.4 diameter or height. If that is correct then you need a tire that diameter or height for the speedometer to be correct and the car to sit at the right height. Am I correct?
                            I don't know how they measured them back then, but that seems pretty Tall.
                            The Tire Co's like Cooper and sellers like Tire Rack have conversion charts on their website showing the tire heights, just match it to the modern sizes.

I think you will find that a P205X75R15 Radial is the closest available replacement. The 195X75R15 is supposed to be closer, but is NLA.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-16-2015, 03:13 AM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A 6.70 tire has a tread that is 6.7" wide, but the "usable width" is measured midway, so probably more about 7.5". The sidewall height is approximately 83% of the width. That makes the overall height about 28" depending upon the manufacturer.
                              http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Wheels/radials.htm
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X