Restoration shop - Studebakers & Muntz Jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration shop - Studebakers & Muntz Jet

On my way back from the Carlisle Swap Meet, I stopped by W W Motor Cars & Parts. Inc., which is a restoration shop in Broadway, VA. I had been by there about a month ago looking for the 51 Land Cruiser that my friend, Sam Miller used to own. It was on a Sunday and they were closed, I thought I saw a Muntz Jet in the window. Upon my visit yesterday it was confirmed.

I think the Muntz may have a Studebaker connection. These instrument panels were sold by Standard Surplus which later evolved into SASCO.

Here is the 51 Land Cruiser that belonged to Sam Miller.

They also have a 63 Lark that is for sale. It is a 54,000 mile car with 6 cyl. and overdrive. It is a very original car and was purchased at Mason Motor Co. in Timberville, just a couple of miles away, that is now a Dodge dealer. They want $5,500.00 for it but said they will take less.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Hi Leonard,
    Great Pics. The last time I saw a Muntz, was in the 70's. There was one stuffed behind a gas station around Rosslyn, VA. It maybe the same one. Is Leon's yard still down in Broadway or has it gone the way of the Developer?

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi Leonard,
      Great Pics. The last time I saw a Muntz, was in the 70's. There was one stuffed behind a gas station around Rosslyn, VA. It maybe the same one. Is Leon's yard still down in Broadway or has it gone the way of the Developer?

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Is Leon's yard still down in Broadway or has it gone the way of the Developer?

Bob Johnstone
        I have heard about Leon's since the 80s, but I have never been there. I thought it was in Culpeper. Guido probably knows more about it.

Comment

quote:Is Leon's yard still down in Broadway or has it gone the way of the Developer?

Bob Johnstone
          I have heard about Leon's since the 80s, but I have never been there. I thought it was in Culpeper. Guido probably knows more about it.

Comment

Bob,

Leon's is in Culpeper County on Route 29 just after you cross the Culpeper/Madison County line and is still open. I understand that the old man has passed away and Leon Jr. is now running the show. The word on the street is that he is rather difficult to deal with.

I was last there around 30 years looking for a bellhousing for an AMC 327 that I was going to install in a Jeep Wagoneer. At the time they still had a bunch of Studebaker trucks, but who knows what might be left.

By the way, the old man got the crossroads just south of his yard named for him. Do a Mapquest search on Leon and it should come up.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Bob,

Leon's is in Culpeper County on Route 29 just after you cross the Culpeper/Madison County line and is still open. I understand that the old man has passed away and Leon Jr. is now running the show. The word on the street is that he is rather difficult to deal with.

I was last there around 30 years looking for a bellhousing for an AMC 327 that I was going to install in a Jeep Wagoneer. At the time they still had a bunch of Studebaker trucks, but who knows what might be left.

By the way, the old man got the crossroads just south of his yard named for him. Do a Mapquest search on Leon and it should come up.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I was at Leon' last fall, and all his Studes were in very rough shape. While there I was told they would be clearing the section of the yard they were in to make room for his ever growing inventory of new cars. "If you want enything out of there get it quick" he told me they were going to the crusher as soon as he needed the space.

Comment

I was at Leon' last fall, and all his Studes were in very rough shape. While there I was told they would be clearing the section of the yard they were in to make room for his ever growing inventory of new cars. "If you want enything out of there get it quick" he told me they were going to the crusher as soon as he needed the space.

Comment

The museum had a MJ parked next to a 1950 Ford at the motor shopw a few years ago.
                    I think that "our" M-J was an earier model and many of the parts seemed to be modified Ford ones.
                    We also had a Darrin and a '55 Bikck HT there and noticed the "Darrin Dip" reminder in the Buick.
                    It was a long day, obviously.

Karl

Comment

The museum had a MJ parked next to a 1950 Ford at the motor shopw a few years ago.
                      I think that "our" M-J was an earier model and many of the parts seemed to be modified Ford ones.
                      We also had a Darrin and a '55 Bikck HT there and noticed the "Darrin Dip" reminder in the Buick.

Karl

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sumf

Karl
                        I don't see a Darrin dip in a 1955 Buick hardtop's doors (it does have a slight kick up in the rear quarter). Perhaps you are referring to a 1953 Buick Skylark which did have a Darrin dip in the doors.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sumf

Karl
                          I don't see a Darrin dip in a 1955 Buick hardtop's doors (it does have a slight kick up in the rear quarter). Perhaps you are referring to a 1953 Buick Skylark which did have a Darrin dip in the doors.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X