'57 Packard on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Packard on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-Packard-Clipper-truly-stunning-fully-restored-51ks-/120645861724?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c170dc15c

What a beautiful car! And that glowing description. But I’ll bet NO new Packard ever left a dealership with THAT radio! Or that wrinkl-ey dash pad!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DASH1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1732701

Or those wrinkl-ey seats!

Name:	SEAT1.JPG
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1732702

Or that air cleaner! (But NO supercharger!)

Name:	AIRCLA.JPG
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1732703

And what’s this?

Name:	STUDE1.JPG
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1732704

Yep, I want “Studebaker” on MY Packard!

So, tho it’s a beautiful car, doesn’t it seem strange that, after the probable cost of this semi-restoration, the PO would leave these few items staring you in the face? Of course, the seat material and carpets are not OEM, tho, in my opinion, they are nice—or nicer—than new. And maybe the PO liked the hotrod look of the engine. AND after all, it really IS a Studebaker.

Was it Bob Palma who said—the Devil is in the Details?

But would I want this car? IN A TEXAS MINUTE!

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM.

I have the CASO version--1957 Champion!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Nice car worth a good 10K as it sits. With the blower and correct dash pad it would be a sweet ride!

Comment

Assuming that those are not shill bids, the sale is off to a flying start at $15K, and the only thing that will

prevent a good sale is an excessive reserve. Chances are that the shill will end up high bidder, though, with reserve not met.
        I just sold a pair of drums to a 57 Packard owner today. It is a nice driver, not as nice as this one, and he recently bought it for $5K.
        Barry'd in Studes

Comment

OK...help out a relative newbie. I've seen the term CASO used quite a bit on here...someone please translate.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo5671 View Post
            OK...help out a relative newbie. I've seen the term CASO used quite a bit on here...someone please translate.
            I don't like the term or use it, but the meaning of the acronym is; Cheap Ass Studebaker Owner.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

where does one get those valve covers?
              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

And it's missing the rubber dimmer switch cover. Our new '57 Clipper was delivvered with such a cover. A hold ovr from the pre-Studebaker built Packards I guess. Oh yes, Today, I have that cover on the dimmer switch of our '63 Avanti

Comment

This car was in the car corral at Hershey this year. As I recall the asking price was $17k

Comment

Very nice looking car, is it the way I would do it? Certainly not, after spending THOUSANDS on all that very nice Chrome and Paint I would not stop at the Interior and Engine Compartment, they are both not befitting of a car of it's class! It REALLY needs a darker color, better quality dash pad, and certainly NOT any kind of BROWN!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hi

This Clipper was in the Hershey car corral for $18,000 this year. After looking it over good, I'd opine that $6,000 would be a more appropriate price, if that.

How do I know it's the same one? Check out the Clipper wheel in the grille and the horn ring painted metallic gold rather than properly plated. Check out those cheesy, aftermarket 'vents' stuck on the lower front bumper bar. The lousy mismatched dash covering, the so-so upholstery job in close 'nough material,the modern stereo radio, the missing supercharger, the underhood doll-up.......the list of things that disquality this car from it's price are extremely long.

The over-the-top hype is the typical dealer boilerplate, he even tried it on me at Hershey, I about laughed in his face. Whoever the winning bidder is will be immensely disappointed when he sees exactly what he has paid high buck to buy. My guess is a nasty lawsuit for misrepresentation will follow.

Steve

To someone's credit, they spent a fortune on chrome plating, considering how much potmetal is on a '57 Clipper.
                      Last edited by 56H-Y6; 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM. Reason: afterthoughts

Comment

What is the purpose of the after market vents in the lower front valance?

Comment

Looks like a nice car that I'd be happy to own. Dylan Wills told me that I should copy the '57 Packard seat design/pattern for the seats in my '58 Commander. And I do believe he is right.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                            What is the purpose of the after market vents in the lower front valance?
                            BEATS ME! They do not look dark in the center like they are open, maybe they are driving lights or marker lights????????? Certainly not stock.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                              where does one get those valve covers?
                              Those are available from Vintage Speed in Florida:
                              http://www.vintagespeed.com/
                              There is a little more stuff they have for Studes as well, like polished aluminum valley covers, and sometimes other things used, taken in trade. The web site was done on a wide screen, so you may have to scroll to the center to see the pages. Not Cheap!!

Comment

Working...
                              X