No announcement yet.

Pictures of 53 Commander duel exhaust??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of 53 Commander duel exhaust??

Hi Guys,

Finally got the 53 Coupe body on the 59 frame. I'm hoping to find pictures of a duel exhaust system that deals with the "bat wing" support. Thanks for your help!!

Regards,
    John Brayton
    John Brayton

Call Don Simmons at Silvertone. Save yourself the grief.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I "dueled" with DUAL exhaust in a 54 Champion (that I converted into a Commander).
      I would say that 55 exhaust (dual)would be your best bet.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        I "dueled" with DUAL exhaust in a 54 Champion (that I converted into a Commander).
        I would say that 55 exhaust (dual)would be your best bet.
        There's pics of a '55 dual exhaust on my web site, including my attempt to replicate the one special hanger you eed on the driver's side. You may also need a '55-57 dual exhaust rear gravel shield, not sure if the pipes will clear the '54 one. (pics of that on my web site too)

What engine/trans are you using? You may need to mix 'n' match pieces if you are not staying stock.

edit: just reread OP and we are dealing with a '58 frame. Is this frame keeping the original gas tank? If so I would just get a dual exhaust for a '58 and use the '58 gravel shield. the '55-57 duals are odd because the driver's side tailpipe actually runs under the frame rail because the car was never designed for duals. Oddly, the '55 tailpipes are larger diameter than the 56-57 ones, but are the same shape.

nate
        Last edited by N8N; 11-11-2010, 07:14 AM.
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The exhaust just loops over the bat wing, or at least it did on the 55 I just took off. I have pictures of my 53, but it dosen't have the batwing. Want me to post?

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
            There's pics of a '55 dual exhaust on my web site, including my attempt to replicate the one special hanger you eed on the driver's side. You may also need a '55-57 dual exhaust rear gravel shield, not sure if the pipes will clear the '54 one. (pics of that on my web site too)

What engine/trans are you using? You may need to mix 'n' match pieces if you are not staying stock.

edit: just reread OP and we are dealing with a '58 frame. Is this frame keeping the original gas tank? If so I would just get a dual exhaust for a '58 and use the '58 gravel shield. the '55-57 duals are odd because the driver's side tailpipe actually runs under the frame rail because the car was never designed for duals. Oddly, the '55 tailpipes are larger diameter than the 56-57 ones, but are the same shape.

nate
            The frame is from a 59 Silver Hawk as is the floor and gas tank, the trunk is from a 56 Hawk, the engine is from a 62 GT Hawk and the remaining car is 53 Commander. I'm using the 59 bat wing and was hoping to see a picture of the "dual" exhaust installation. Thanks for the help and please post any pictures you think will be useful. My email is johnbrayton@att.net

Regards,
            John Brayton
            John Brayton

Comment

here's two pages you might be interested in

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/fors...elshields.html

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/exhaust/silvertone.html

there are three different tailpipe sets - '55, '56-57, and '58-64. '55 and '56-57 are the same save for diameter.

there are two different driver's side head pipes - '55, and '56-64. (not counting 56J.) The '55 one is bent farther away from the starter as the 6V starter is physically larger.

There are two different pass side head pipes - '55-mid'62 and mid'62-'64. The later ones are bent for more clearance around a full flow oil filter.

I *believe* that the driver's side main exhaust pipes are all the same.

There's at least two different pass side main exhaust pipes; don't recall the year break, but whenever they changed the Flightomatic to an under hood dipstick, the pipe was changed for clearance. I discovered this when trying to put an all '55 exhaust system in my '55 with '63 drivetrain. Whoops. (Don was very nice about swapping pipes out for me though even though the issue was my fault.)

'55 mufflers are different from the others because of the larger tailpipes. I *think* all the other C-K mufflers are pretty much the same but don't quote me on that.

I would definitely call Don Simmons and ask his advice for your exact frame, body, and drivetrain combination after you've looked at the pretty pictures and read the above.

good luck

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here's a few of my 53 while exhaust was being installed. They don't show everything very good. But they may be some help. I used the 55 rear valance.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                  Here's a few of my 53 while exhaust was being installed. They don't show everything very good. But they may be some help. I used the 55 rear valance.

Hi Guys,

The "pretty pictures" do help. Gives me an idea about the clearances needed underneith. Looks like Don Simmons is the guy to talk to and I'll call Don soon.

Regards,
                  John Brayton
                  John Brayton

Comment

John, you don't have a custom exhaust/muffler shop near?

Comment

Should mention, the '53, at least the early ones, had a completely different gravel deflector. Looking at the back of the car you couldn't even see it was there; no pipe clearance problem at all. These are Simmons duals on mine.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=PB110002.jpg
                      http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=PB110001.jpg
                      Last edited by rockne10; 11-11-2010, 09:12 PM. Reason: photos
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                        John, you don't have a custom exhaust/muffler shop near?
                        Yep, we've got some fine custom muffler shops in Sonoma County but I find it's better to have an idea what you want before you turn them loose on your car.

Regards,
                        John Brayton
                        John Brayton

Comment

Great color choice on your 53 Brad, beautiful.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                          X