New Avanti arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Avanti arrives

The 69,000 mile R2 Avanti we bought off Craig's list made it to Sal's. The interior, and chrome is near perfect and ready to go, but the older repaint looked horrible. You can see the buffing progress as it goes from the front of the fender back. I've always wonder why the owners don't spent a few hours polishing the paint before listing a car.
    JDP Maryland

Yes, it's a very noticeable difference and is looking very good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I like the black paint on the hub caps.......is there an easy way to mask off the cap and paint, or does one have to go to a body shop?
      Originally posted by JDP View Post
      The 69,000 mile R2 Avanti we bought off Craig's list made it to Sal's. The interior, and chrome is near perfect and ready to go, but the older repaint looked horrible. You can see the buffing progress as it goes from the front of the fender back. I've always wonder why the owners don't spent a few hours polishing the paint before listing a car.

Comment

Not knowing the paint thickness remaining on our 7000 mile turquoise Avanti, the paint was quite dead. A claybar session followed by 2400 wetsand and a hand polish has us being accused of clearcoating the car. But sanding on a 47 year old original paint job knowing you could break through at any moment is not for the faint of heart. But she surely looks nice now.
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

You really weren't kidding were you John? That thing is ACTUALLY BLUE!

What were they thinking? That would have looked great with a Black Interior, but with a nice Turquoise GREEN Interior, you could not tear it out.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            You really weren't kidding were you John? That thing is ACTUALLY BLUE!

What were they thinking? That would have looked great with a Black Interior, but with a nice Turquoise GREEN Interior, you could not tear it out.
            Not worth arguing about, you see the Turquoise as green, I see more blue, but I took a chance on the car.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Don'T SI sell the black insert skins for the wheel covers (hub caps)?

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                Don'T SI sell the black insert skins for the wheel covers (hub caps)?
                Yes, but just the outer ovals. We'll probably add them. The center spokes should be silver, but I don't mind the black.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

How does one paint the spokes?
                  Yes, but just the outer ovals. We'll probably add them. The center spokes should be silver, but I don't mind the black.

Comment

Lots of free goodies with the new Avanti, some good, some sad. The good is the pictured air brush painting and a Avanti jacket, the sad is some old Avanti bulletins because of one ad from the late 60's in particular. It's for a mint, black, R2, 4 speed for $3000, owner killed in Vietnam. BTW, the painting and the rest will stay with the car since the first owner had it made, and he owned the car from new until 1998. We bought it from the second owner.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Lots of free goodies with the new Avanti, some good, some sad. The good is the pictured air brush painting and a Avanti jacket, the sad is some old Avanti bulletins because of one ad from the late 60's in particular. It's for a mint, black, R2, 4 speed for $3000, owner killed in Vietnam. BTW, the painting and the rest will stay with the car since the first owner had it made, and he owned the car from new until 1998. We bought it from the second owner.
                      Very high probability that the black R2 was the one I bought in the mid-70s. The man I bought it from had bought the car from the widow of the original owner who was killed in Viet Nam. He was an Army Captain who had special ordered the car from a dealer in Iowa then waited nearly six months to get the black paint. He had it equipped with fast manual steering, R-2, 4-speed, 3.73 TT, HD springs and shocks, HD clutch, manual windows. He didn't like the Gabriel shocks so he had installed Konis. It was the best handling, tightest Avanti I had ever driven. I finally sold it to Jeff Bradel (he wanted a car to make a matching pair with his '63 Lark R-2, 4-speed black convertible. I have tried to buy it back, but no sale.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                        Very high probability that the black R2 was the one I bought in the mid-70s. The man I bought it from had bought the car from the widow of the original owner who was killed in Viet Nam. He was an Army Captain who had special ordered the car from a dealer in Iowa then waited nearly six months to get the black paint. He had it equipped with fast manual steering, R-2, 4-speed, 3.73 TT, HD springs and shocks, HD clutch, manual windows. He didn't like the Gabriel shocks so he had installed Konis. It was the best handling, tightest Avanti I had ever driven. I finally sold it to Jeff Bradel (he wanted a car to make a matching pair with his '63 Lark R-2, 4-speed black convertible. I have tried to buy it back, but no sale.

I'll have Sal post the ad, minus some personal info, small world. Btw, Jeff bought my full package 64 HT, so he's set on R2's.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Hi Guys. I still own the Avanti that I bought from Paul. I haven't been driving the car much over the last few years and the fuel in the line turned to thick tar and completely closed up. I disconnected the hose near the tank and ran a wire forward through the metal fuel line. I slid that wire in an out for two days before I removed all the tar. Put new hoses on, added new gas, and was ready to fire it up. Then, couldn't find the daggone keys. I'll get back to that in a couple weeks.

John, I would love the have any paperwork that you have related to this car so I can put it in the scrap book. Is it possible to obtain these items?

Thanks, Jeff
                          Last edited by studefan; 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                            Hi Guys. I still own the Avanti that I bought from Paul. I haven't been driving the car much over the last few years and the fuel in the line turned to thick tar and completely closed up. I disconnected the hose near the tank and ran a wire forward through the metal. I slid that wire in an out for two days before I removed all the tar. Put new hoses on, added new gas, and was ready to fire it up. Then, couldn't find the daggone keys. I'll get back to that in a couple weeks.

John, I would love the have any paperwork that you have related to this car so I can put it in the scrap book. Is it possible to obtain these items?

Thanks, Jeff
                            Drop Sal a E-mail and he can send you the Avanti bulletin if it's your car.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Drop Sal a E-mail and he can send you the Avanti bulletin if it's your car.
                              No doubt about the car. I found a copy of the Avanti Newsletter with that ad (and sent a copy to Jeff). Tom Pollard was the original owner.

Avanti Newsletter 14, 1969, classified supplement. Check the prices.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X