Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to all the NOS Sheet metal? for larks,and maybe hawks

Hello to my new friends,

I am a new person to the form and would like to ask the new friends on the form What happend to all the
    NOS sheet metal that was available by Neman and Altman and even Sasco a few years ago. I am specially
    interested in the late series lark and hawks. I could also remember you could even get new streering wheels
    for these cars too!

From my understanding I thought all the parts that Sasco had were purchased by Studebaker International in
    Greenfield Indiana. Did they get those parts are not. I just ordered a 2010 Catalog and found no refernces
    of any sheetmetal and any steering wheels for these cars. If this is true. Where are the parts now and are
    they for sale by anyone!

Thanks, John

There is still '64-'66 front fenders, Hoods, Bumpers and "should be" a few steering Wheels left in stock at the South Bend Studebaker International Warehouse.

BUT, you have to call the Greenfield, IN store to inquire and order them, because the current Catalog was printed BEFORE the purchase and inventory that followed.

Studebaker Drivers Club members are kept appraised of all things Studebaker like this, by reading the Monthly Club Publication "TURNING WHEELS", you can join at the top of these web pages at a first year discount price.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I agree with John. Studebaker International does not seem to be very helpful in finding sheet metal or much of anything else for that matter. Unless you have the specific part #. Makes me wonder how they have set up their inventory listings. And Whwere?
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

They not only can not find things.......they also forgot how to return calls. Fortunately I just picked up a 63 Lark parts car that came with two sets of metal nos front fenders

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
          They not only can not find things.......they also forgot how to return calls. Fortunately I just picked up a 63 Lark parts car that came with two sets of metal nos front fenders
          You lucky dog, you beat me to it! Good going, you got a great deal.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

All of the sheetmetal is still avliable for sale at SI. There is so much of it in fact that it has its own room! I know, that was a BIG part of the move...
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Over the years, I have become very fond of ordering parts by number.

I realize the majority of Stude owners don't have the factory catalogs to identify their needs but, let's be realistic. Parts suppliers have an inventory system. If you order the part that goes between this and that, on what you think may be a whatever model, you stand a chance of receiving something that won't work. Then, we assume it's the supplier's problem.
              The catalogs are available.

SI, and all of our other great vendors, pump out a lot of product to keep our Studes on the road. Do we also expect them to do our research?
              And...maybe I've just been lucky...by using parts numbers I have, without exception, always received quick response to any request.
              Last edited by rockne10; 10-28-2010, 10:48 PM.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I realize the majority of Stude owners don't have the factory catalogs to identify their needs but, let's be realistic. Parts suppliers have an inventory system. If you order the part that goes between this and that, on what you think may be a whatever model, you stand a chance of receiving something that won't work. Then, we assume it's the supplier's problem.
                This is what I liked over at SASCO. When I came to the meets, on a few occasions I didn't have a ready made list with the part numbers. However, the catalogs were out there on the counter, so it just became a matter of finding the section and component and remembering what number the component was. If this is being done over the phone, well that's a whole other story .....
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Over the years, I have become very fond of ordering parts by number.

SI, and all of our other great vendors, pump out a lot of product to keep our Studes on the road. Do we also expect them to do our research?
                  And...maybe I've just been lucky...by using parts numbers I have, without exception, always received quick response to any request.
                  Thank you for this statement of fact, Brad... and I'm sure our loyal vendors thank you, too.

Comment

SI is in the ongoing process of inventorying the parts purchased from SASCO. When everything has been entered in a computer system that is common to both locations then it will be much easier to quote what parts are available. The new catalog is also being prepared and will reflect much of what is warehoused in South Bend.
                    R2Andrea

Comment

Wow! How lucky are we as a club that, after all these years, anyone would have posed a question about "NOS Sheet metal!" Name another orphan make where such a complaint is even reasonable. On the negative side, this means we are a little spoiled, but on the positive side, it is a terrific indication of how fortunate we really are.

I am such a CASO that if you give me a hole in the air with the right shape...I will hammer out my own part from a piece of sheet metal. But for those who want to do things the "sissy" way...stuff is still available. I also think that when vendors fail to respond in a reasonable manner, we should complain. However, before we get too carried away, a little of "Walk a mile in my shoes" perspective could go a long way in keeping harmony in our Studebaker family. Years ago, I complained about how our local chapter News Letter was being done. For a year or two, I became the editor. Now I never complain!

When it comes to parts, especially large pieces of sheet metal, you better have your information correct. By the time you pay the cost of packaging and shipping, and hope it makes the trip intact...the chances of making it profitable are awfully slim. Returning and exchanging an incorrect piston, switch, or gasket is a lot less painful than a hood, fender, or door!

What I take from this thread is how truly great were the "Visionaries" who formed the SDC which has allowed us to keep Studebaker an ongoing "reality" and not a "historical whisper."
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not just orphans, how about your average run of the mill car that still has a dealership network! Most parts fade away after 10 years or so, unless you need interior trim, then it may be gone when the current version is changed. We are more than fortunate to have what is available now. The excess of parts that have survived also contributed in a smaller way to the demise of the company. These parts werent made for free. Labor, materials, packaging, storage increased the cost of overhead. Add that to how some parts, instead of being superceeded as many do today, were just listed separately doubleing that cost. Where would we be today if it werent for Nate Altman, Leo Newman, Dennis Lambert and the terrific group of our dedicated vendors? I dread to think of that possiblity.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Agree 100% with Warren. Will add one more thought: while having all those parts left over may very well have contributed to Studebaker's losses, Studebaker's demise as a car maker also helped to save those parts. The Standard Surplus Division of Newman & Altman had had a long-standing relationship with Studebaker under which N&A bought nearly all of Stude's surplus parts. These were the left-over parts that were in excess of what Stude needed to stock in their parts department. A lot of it was soft interior stuff and body parts. Like other car makers, Stude continued to carry most mechanical parts in its inventory for decades.

But even N&A eventually had to scrap some stuff, as they didn't have an infinite amount of storage space. I first visited the upper floors of the two connected N&A buildings around 1976 (thanks to JDP), and the buildings were FULL. The old Studebaker corporate parts depot was still intact next door in building 69, although its ownership had been transferred to Avanti Parts Corp, a corporate cousin to Avanti Motors Corp. That building was pretty full, too. A few years later, parts sales through the heritage Stude parts depot operated by Avanti Parts Corp dropped to the point that its inventory was sold to Newman & Altman and moved over to the N&A building. Dennis Lambert somehow found space for almost everything.

But if Studebaker had stayed in the car business, they would have continued to sell surplus stuff to N&A -- and N&A would have had to scrap the slowest selling stuff to make room. Stude's demise as a car maker froze the parts inventory as of March 1966.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            I realize the majority of Stude owners don't have the factory catalogs to identify their needs but, let's be realistic.
                            This is something I learned early on in my ownership of Studebakers~
                            and it is the problem alot of times when folks call a vendor~

they DON'T have the books they should!!!

One of the FIRST THINGS a StudeOwner should do after buying the car of their choice is to get all of the books for their car/truck--
                            • body parts book
                            • chassis parts book
                            • shop manual

They can be found for sale in so many places- there is NO EXCUSE not to!!! Doing so would make things alot easier when the time comes to fix something or when parts needs arise.

It would also cut down on the repetitive questions on this Forum as to what fits this that or the other.

StudeDave '57
                            StudeOwner/Driver since 1986
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              This is something I learned early on in my ownership of Studebakers~
                              and it is the problem alot of times when folks call a vendor~

they DON'T have the books they should!!!

One of the FIRST THINGS a StudeOwner should do after buying the car of their choice is to get all of the books for their car/truck--
                              • body parts book
                              • chassis parts book
                              • shop manual

They can be found for sale in so many places- there is NO EXCUSE not to!!! Doing so would make things alot easier when the time comes to fix something or when parts needs arise.

It would also cut down on the repetitive questions on this Forum as to what fits this that or the other.

StudeDave '57
                              StudeOwner/Driver since 1986
                              I think most of "our" problem is a result of the fact that parts books (and especially part numbers) are much less useful or important for owners of popular collector cars like Corvettes and Mustangs. Stude part numbers were very rarely superceded, so a parts book printed 50 years ago is still a good guide for ordering parts. And Stude parts books are VERY complete -- the only things missing from the illustrations are a few nuts and bolts -- and their part numbers are listed anyway.

By contrast, GM parts book illustrations often show "typical" presentations, with many individual parts not shown, and almost no fasteners listed at all. GM also routinely cancels, consolidates, and supercedes part numbers all the time. Some popular, still-available mechanical parts for 1960s Chevys have had their part number changed a dozen times. Yes, the exploded views are still useful, and yes, a GM dealer can cross the obsolete part number to its modern equivalent -- but GM is still in business, and the parts department will gladly convert your verbal description into a part number.

Experienced old car hobbiests coming to Studebakers for the first time may not recognize how important our parts books are to us, so a little patience may be required on our part. That said, there does seem to be a minority of Stude owners who simply refuse to spend $20 or so for a used parts book, and prefer to rely on us to look up numbers for them. I would refer them to Dave's post above.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X