Introducing Myself w/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Myself w/questions

Hello all. Im new here. I live in South Bend In. just down the street from SASCO. My 4 brothers and I have been trying to restore (slowly) my fathers 1960 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal Convertible for him. As we grew up, we threw our bikes and toys in the garage where the "ugly" rested and kinda beat it up over the years. 7 kids, I guess, had its toll on the "ugly."

Anyway, we ran into a problem with the auto transmission. It has a parking pawl problem where it wont shift into park easily. We were wondering what transmissions were installed in the 60 larks? We are literally stopped here (no pun). We bought a complete rebuild for the tranny from sasco but arent too sure what else to do. I myself have rebuilt a jeep wrangler YJ manual transmission but thats a little different than what im looking at now.

We also talked to a really old studebaker assembly line worker here in town that said that the "X" frame was not supposed to be used on this car. Anyone know anything on this?

My last question is, when we finished rebuilding the engine, we noticed a lone part that was laying around to which looked like a oil valley baffle. Its simply a 90* angle iron piece with 2 holes drilled through....is this supposed to be under the oil vally cover?

The car as it sits is all original with a recently complete rebuilt 259 V8 and newly upholstered seats. The bodywork is done and the interior has been slowly acquired by trips to SASCO.

So i guess I should clarify:
    1. what is the name of this tranny? Ford-o-matic???
    2. whats up with the frame?
    3. is there supposed to be anything like a oil valley baffle?
    4. anyone near South Bend that can rebuild this tranny for a fee (besides the local tranny places that charge 75/hour and 700 just to crack it open)?

Regardless, thank you all for taking the time to read this!

Michael

1960 Studebaker Lark VIII convertible.

Welcome to the forum. That will be a great csr.
    I know on the later models the X member was to add support to the convertable frame.
    Is the angle iron part the support for the power steering? It goes from the Left exhaust manifold to the back of the PS pump.
    Rob

Comment

Welcome to the forum. That will be a great csr.
      I know on the later models the X member was to add support to the convertable frame.
      Is the angle iron part the support for the power steering? It goes from the Left exhaust manifold to the back of the PS pump.
      Rob

Comment

Welcome aboard! The '60 Lark V-8 convertible is one of most desirable of all the Larks, they only made about 5000 of them. The X-frame is correct for your car; it was needed to support the convertible body. The transmission is called a Flightomatic and was used by Ford and others in some vartity. Others on the forum can fill you in on the details and perhaps help with your shifting issue. I suspect it might have to do with having your shift linkages (the rods that go from the steering column to the transmisson) adjusted correctly.

You should be aware that the Studebaker International meet is in So. Bend June 17th through the 23rd so there will be lots of folks around that week that can answer any questions that you might have. There will also be lots of Studebaker vendors both at SASCO and the fairgrounds. My wife and I plan on driving out from VT and if convienient I'd like to see your car. I also have a '60 Lark convertible parts car so if there is something you need let me know.

Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
        1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT

Comment

Welcome aboard! The '60 Lark V-8 convertible is one of most desirable of all the Larks, they only made about 5000 of them. The X-frame is correct for your car; it was needed to support the convertible body. The transmission is called a Flightomatic and was used by Ford and others in some vartity. Others on the forum can fill you in on the details and perhaps help with your shifting issue. I suspect it might have to do with having your shift linkages (the rods that go from the steering column to the transmisson) adjusted correctly.

You should be aware that the Studebaker International meet is in So. Bend June 17th through the 23rd so there will be lots of folks around that week that can answer any questions that you might have. There will also be lots of Studebaker vendors both at SASCO and the fairgrounds. My wife and I plan on driving out from VT and if convienient I'd like to see your car. I also have a '60 Lark convertible parts car so if there is something you need let me know.

Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Good luck on your project. Any chance you have a photo or two to share? We all love to see what people are up to in the restoration of there Studebaker!

Randy_G
            1959 Lark Sedan
            www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Good luck on your project. Any chance you have a photo or two to share? We all love to see what people are up to in the restoration of there Studebaker!

Randy_G
              1959 Lark Sedan
              www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

944-LT1? Seems we have similar interests in cars Are you on Pelican?

I think others have addressed all the Stude-specific questions I could answer...

nate

('88 944 NA as a daily driver)

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

944-LT1? Seems we have similar interests in cars Are you on Pelican?

I think others have addressed all the Stude-specific questions I could answer...

nate

('88 944 NA as a daily driver)

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

An automatic that has sat for a number of years probably needs new internal seals at least, so a rebuild is in order. However, the specific problem you mentioned is quite likely a shift linkage problem. You have to lift up on the lever to go into park, but you knew that already. Also look for broken or soft, sagging rear mounts, and make sure the 1/2" spacer is in place under the left rear mount.

Dwain G.

Comment

An automatic that has sat for a number of years probably needs new internal seals at least, so a rebuild is in order. However, the specific problem you mentioned is quite likely a shift linkage problem. You have to lift up on the lever to go into park, but you knew that already. Also look for broken or soft, sagging rear mounts, and make sure the 1/2" spacer is in place under the left rear mount.

Dwain G.

Comment

Hey Sb Ragtop,
                        Just to reinforce the "X" member question, It has to have it to keep the structal intergrity of the body in place. Also, it should have a pair of weights hangin at the lower edge of the front air panel. I put a 60 convertible together back in 1990 for my oldest daughter, it was a blast for both of us. Trans is fairly simple. Follow shop manuel proceedure, you can do it. Don't let a trans shop rape ya. Wish ya continued success.
                        thanks for letting share,
                        Kim

Comment

Hey Sb Ragtop,
                          Just to reinforce the "X" member question, It has to have it to keep the structal intergrity of the body in place. Also, it should have a pair of weights hangin at the lower edge of the front air panel. I put a 60 convertible together back in 1990 for my oldest daughter, it was a blast for both of us. Trans is fairly simple. Follow shop manuel proceedure, you can do it. Don't let a trans shop rape ya. Wish ya continued success.
                          thanks for letting share,
                          Kim

Comment

Wow! You fellers are fast!

Mapman, I have not seen the power steering yet but I will today for ya. I had no idea that was what the "x" was for.

DPSON, you got 2?!?! Nice! I guess I will get to know you better At this point, the body has been coated with chromabase (dupont) but IS NOT A GOOD JOB[xx(] We (all 4 of us) did the job with a compressor with one bad cylinder....it was a learning experience at best. Since, we have done 4 or 5 more cars with a 3 stage turbine HVLP and have had great success. I believe we will re-shoot the ugly. The meet...my father and I have gone to the last...well all of them that I can remember since it started. My dad worked during a summer after high school and with his earnings bought this car from an old lady. When the first 3 of us were born, he used to pile us in the ugly and go to the drive in movies (i dont remember any of this)...thats how long hes been in to the studebaker thing.

Randy, im on my way, after writing this, to the shop to take some pictures to see what you guys think. It has no interior installed yet. The seats are stowed away in our attic.

N8N, Another Pelican. You guys are everywhere. Yeah Im on Pelican and occasionaly screw around on Rennlist. I have an 1987 944 with an LT1 getting painted. If you click on my profile here, it will take you to my gallery where my pictures are. Nice to see some Porsche guys spreading into the unknown areas. I bet 98% of the guys on rennlist have never heard of Studebaker before. Or when you say lark, they think bird? Pelican is alot more professional than rennlist in my opinion. Nice to meet ya!

Dwain, you know, when we took the engine out (through the top) we noticed that there were 2 arms coming off the drivers side of the tranny but one had nothing on it...But we just know too little about this tranny to of made a clear observation. Ill get a picture of the side of the trany. Would you think that a new TC wouold be neccesary and has there been any aftermarket support for updated converters?

Kamzack, we do have a complete shop manual for the car. If you think its pretty straight forward, maybe we will give it a shot. I wouldnt think it could be any harder than a modern manual but who knows. Atleast I have all the tools

Again thanks guys. I will post the pictures I get tonight!

Comment

Wow! You fellers are fast!

Mapman, I have not seen the power steering yet but I will today for ya. I had no idea that was what the "x" was for.

DPSON, you got 2?!?! Nice! I guess I will get to know you better At this point, the body has been coated with chromabase (dupont) but IS NOT A GOOD JOB[xx(] We (all 4 of us) did the job with a compressor with one bad cylinder....it was a learning experience at best. Since, we have done 4 or 5 more cars with a 3 stage turbine HVLP and have had great success. I believe we will re-shoot the ugly. The meet...my father and I have gone to the last...well all of them that I can remember since it started. My dad worked during a summer after high school and with his earnings bought this car from an old lady. When the first 3 of us were born, he used to pile us in the ugly and go to the drive in movies (i dont remember any of this)...thats how long hes been in to the studebaker thing.

Randy, im on my way, after writing this, to the shop to take some pictures to see what you guys think. It has no interior installed yet. The seats are stowed away in our attic.

N8N, Another Pelican. You guys are everywhere. Yeah Im on Pelican and occasionaly screw around on Rennlist. I have an 1987 944 with an LT1 getting painted. If you click on my profile here, it will take you to my gallery where my pictures are. Nice to see some Porsche guys spreading into the unknown areas. I bet 98% of the guys on rennlist have never heard of Studebaker before. Or when you say lark, they think bird? Pelican is alot more professional than rennlist in my opinion. Nice to meet ya!

Dwain, you know, when we took the engine out (through the top) we noticed that there were 2 arms coming off the drivers side of the tranny but one had nothing on it...But we just know too little about this tranny to of made a clear observation. Ill get a picture of the side of the trany. Would you think that a new TC wouold be neccesary and has there been any aftermarket support for updated converters?

Kamzack, we do have a complete shop manual for the car. If you think its pretty straight forward, maybe we will give it a shot. I wouldnt think it could be any harder than a modern manual but who knows. Atleast I have all the tools

Again thanks guys. I will post the pictures I get tonight!

Comment

Working...
                              X