Trunk Mats, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Mats, Yes or No

The trunk mat is missing from my '61 Lark. Someone, at some point, has ripped it right out, leaving behind the big gobs of glue patches, which they just painted over. It still doesn't look too great, though. It looks bssically like somebody painted over thick gobs of glue! Question is: should I purchase and install a new trunk mat, or not? I've heard that they're not really good for anything but holding in moisture and encouraging rust, but I've been caught out in one heckuva nasty storm in this car, and I could find no evidence that water was getting into the trunk at all. I'd like to show the car some, but I also want it to stay as rust-free as possible. So, trunk mats-good or bad?

pitbulllady

Well, we are pretty much ALL using them, so if one is gonna get rust, they all are! They were originally NOT glued, so you can easily remove it if you cover or scrape away the goo! [^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, we are pretty much ALL using them, so if one is gonna get rust, they all are! They were originally NOT glued, so you can easily remove it if you cover or scrape away the goo! [^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

With trunk seals intact, body seams good and no rust out to admit moisture, trunk mats look good, are appropriate and original. I don't think the factory ever glued them in. There will always be the possibility of condensation depending on humidity and temperature. Air it out and clean it out on occasion. I say yes.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

With trunk seals intact, body seams good and no rust out to admit moisture, trunk mats look good, are appropriate and original. I don't think the factory ever glued them in. There will always be the possibility of condensation depending on humidity and temperature. Air it out and clean it out on occasion. I say yes.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

OK, then-next question-WHERE can I find them that will fit a '61 Lark Cruiser? Anyone selling these?

pitbulllady

Comment

OK, then-next question-WHERE can I find them that will fit a '61 Lark Cruiser? Anyone selling these?

pitbulllady

Comment

JDP (Historic Automotive) SASCO and SI probably all carry them, although they may not be *exactly* as original (not sure if '61 used the houndstooth pattern or not, but that is what all the repro ones I've seen have) they are certainly serviceable. I have one in my '55.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

JDP (Historic Automotive) SASCO and SI probably all carry them, although they may not be *exactly* as original (not sure if '61 used the houndstooth pattern or not, but that is what all the repro ones I've seen have) they are certainly serviceable. I have one in my '55.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                  X