??? about 56 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? about 56 Golden Hawk

Hi again, Can someone give me some info on the 56 GH's. Am I correct that a genuine 56 GH body will be 56J-xxx on the body tag? What size should the Packard engine in these cars be? Would 2 x 4bbl carbs be a factory option or aftermarket? Are there any concerns about these beyond the normal C/K issues that I need to be leary of? Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

The 56 GH would have had a 352, dual four barrel carbs would have been a dealer option, and I wouldn't think so. Some people don't like Packard V8's but if you rebuild it right and use the Olds oil pump conversion you'll have 100 times a better engine. The stock Packard pumps are best used as scrap.

Comment

Hey Steve. The cowl tag will read "56J-K7" with the body number below that. The 2x4 carb setup was never available from the factory, but lots of owners, and likely dealers too, added them as they were available on Packard Caribbeans. Body and rust issues would be the same as any other K body.

If you have a serial or body number, I can probably email you a copy of the production order if you want it.

Comment

Thanks Eric and Matt! I am waiting for the numbers now. The one I am looking at is said to be a 374 CI Packard (I had never heard of a 374 but I know very little about Packards so thats not suprising in itself). I had someone that was literally a mile from the car check it out for me and I havent even spoken to the seller yet so I need to verify what he said with the seller before I comment further. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

A 374 would be the Senior engine for 1956. If you can get me the numbers off the engine that are located on the pad next to the oil filler tube to the passenger's side of the tube I can tell you exactly what it is.

Comment

Thanks Eric, Numbers are supposed to be forthcoming. Since it is most likely not a factory car my interest is fading fast on it. The money would be better spent on a housing upgrade which may happen Sat anyway (we are hoping the gods are smiling on us) and would put the Hawk out of our immediate budget. The story I originally got on the car (2nd hand) was it is an all factory survivor but thats not jiving with everything I am learning about it. The seller told the guy who checked it out for me it was a 374 and since you say a 374 is a legit Packard engine size I have to believe thats whats in the car. It is definately 2 x 4bbl (rochesters which also seemed odd to me) . Thanks, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

If it has a 374 with dual fours, I'd have a hard time passing that one up. It's not an Overdrive equipped car, is it??

Comment

Definitely not an expert on these cars, but I think they have a lot of unique parts that won't interchange with other years (i.e. trim, interior, etc.)

Comment

Since it is most likely not a factory car my interest is fading fast on it.
                  Yes, since it was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation and the '56J is THE Stude as far as I'm concerned, I'd pay extra for a well-done 374" Caribbean and TwinTraction installation. I'd have no problem with anything a dealer could have sourced from the books and installed for a knowledgeable customer. In fact, a everything on the proposed Jet Stream Performance Package was aftermarket available, I'd take one with the Isky roller cam and kit and the dual point ignition as well.
                  No, 2x4 carbs is absolutely, positively not a factory installation. Those of us in the '56J group for a few years have seen/heard this story dozens of times, but there's never been a documented build sheet on a '56 Caribbean engine in a '56J. There were many dealer and owner installations still out there and still running.
                  Maybe, if you decide you don't want it, PM me and I'd like to take a look at it.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                    Thanks Eric, Numbers are supposed to be forthcoming.<<< Thanks, Steve
                    Knowing the SERIAL NUMBER, then looking up the Production Order to see if there were any "unusual notations" on it, would go a long way in determining ...IF...anything special ...like a 374 w/dual 4 Bbls. might have been installed by either Studebaker or Packard Engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      If it has a 374 with dual fours, I'd have a hard time passing that one up. It's not an Overdrive equipped car, is it??
                      Yep. Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                        Yep. Steve
                        I wish you hadn't have told me that. <G>

The Ultimate '56J??

Comment

Latest reports indicate it may not be in the best of condition and may not even have been a '56J, I'm no longer interested. No more projects. From here on, I'm only interested in condition #2 or better finished cars/trucks.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Latest reports indicate it may not be in the best of condition and may not even have been a '56J, I'm no longer interested. No more projects. From here on, I'm only interested in condition #2 or better finished cars/trucks.

jack vines

Just to clarify, I HAVE NOT looked at this car myself and was merely suggesting that one check the body tag and verify it was a 56J before proceding. I made reference to a similar car that was in the same area well over 25 years ago that was built by a knowledgable stude guy using parts from several Hawks and Packards BUT, as I said in our E-mail, I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS THAT CAR OR NOT!! Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X