This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100,000 mile club

In the long ago days of my early membership in the club there used to be stories of people and their Studebakers in Turning Wheels who had more than 100,000 miles on their car(s). Some were way beyond that even close to 20 years ago. I wonder if we could resurrect that feature in TW and maybe make it the 500,000 mile club. I think it would make for some interesting reading and give more attention to the "driver" in the Studebaker Drivers Club.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Great idea, Scott.

Although I would think making it the 200,000 mile club would generate more stories. You should suggest this to Art Unger, Publisher, Turning Wheels.

Anything to promote the Studebaker brand is worth doing.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Great idea, Scott.

Although I would think making it the 200,000 mile club would generate more stories. You should suggest this to Art Unger, Publisher, Turning Wheels.

Anything to promote the Studebaker brand is worth doing.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
      53 Starliner Hardtop
      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Might get one or two in the 500,000 mile club. If you bought a 66 Cruiser brand new, that would be over 12,000 miles/year for 40 years.

Studebaker On The Net
        http://stude.com
        Studebaker News Group
        http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
        Arnold Md.
        65 Sports Sedan
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2/4 speed
        63 Daytona HT
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT(parts car)
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Might get one or two in the 500,000 mile club. If you bought a 66 Cruiser brand new, that would be over 12,000 miles/year for 40 years.

Studebaker On The Net
          Studebaker News Group
          Arnold Md.
          65 Sports Sedan
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Avanti R2/4 speed
          63 Daytona HT
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT(parts car)
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

OK by me. Maybe 200,000 is more reasonable. I just didn't want half the membership to be able to claim the honor. I probably have driven about 80,000 miles or so in Studebakers. About 60,000 were in my 1964 Daytona, mostly in a five year period. That's not too bad for guy under 45!
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

OK by me. Maybe 200,000 is more reasonable. I just didn't want half the membership to be able to claim the honor. I probably have driven about 80,000 miles or so in Studebakers. About 60,000 were in my 1964 Daytona, mostly in a five year period. That's not too bad for guy under 45!

Comment

Wait a minute. Are you talking about TOTAL Studebaker miles in all you cars ? Hell, I'm in the group club then. Almost 50 years and 300-400 Studebakers, it adds up, even at 10-500 miles/car.

Studebaker On The Net
                Studebaker News Group
                Arnold Md.
                65 Sports Sedan
                64 Daytona HT
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti R1/AC
                63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                63 Daytona HT
                63 Lark 2 dr.
                62 Lark 2 door
                62 GT(parts car)
                60 Lark convert
                60 Hawk
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Wait a minute. Are you talking about TOTAL Studebaker miles in all you cars ? Hell, I'm in the group club then. Almost 50 years and 300-400 Studebakers, it adds up, even at 10-500 miles/car.

Studebaker On The Net
                  Studebaker News Group
                  Arnold Md.
                  65 Sports Sedan
                  64 Daytona HT
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti R1/AC
                  63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                  63 Daytona HT
                  63 Lark 2 dr.
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  62 GT(parts car)
                  60 Lark convert
                  60 Hawk
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I really meant total miles in one car, but there could be another wing of the club that includes total miles in any Studebaker. I don't think that should include Gravely tractors, though.

I also wonder who has the most miles in a horse drawn Studebaker. I wish we'd hear more from those folks.

Comment

I really meant total miles in one car, but there could be another wing of the club that includes total miles in any Studebaker. I don't think that should include Gravely tractors, though.

I also wonder who has the most miles in a horse drawn Studebaker. I wish we'd hear more from those folks.

Comment

Studebaker had a 100,000 Mile Club. I believe that it was in the '20s that they issued a half license plate sized metal plate to honor the members. AFAIK, I have the only surviving original Studebaker plate. I know that Fred K. Fox, the late Asa Hall and other major Studebaker memorabilia collectors didn't have one. John Brichetto (sp) borrowed my original to make up the reproduction plates that have been available from Studebaker vendors for about the past quarter of a century. 100,000 miles was considered quite a feat for most prewar (II) cars. Perhaps the Turning Wheels coverage could start with a brief summary of Studebaker's original 100,000 Mile Club and use the plate as a heading item. I have driven many 100s of thousand miles in Studebakers, but I don't think in any one car because I don't tend to keep cars for a long period of time.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY
                        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker had a 100,000 Mile Club. I believe that it was in the '20s that they issued a half license plate sized metal plate to honor the members. AFAIK, I have the only surviving original Studebaker plate. I know that Fred K. Fox, the late Asa Hall and other major Studebaker memorabilia collectors didn't have one. John Brichetto (sp) borrowed my original to make up the reproduction plates that have been available from Studebaker vendors for about the past quarter of a century. 100,000 miles was considered quite a feat for most prewar (II) cars. Perhaps the Turning Wheels coverage could start with a brief summary of Studebaker's original 100,000 Mile Club and use the plate as a heading item. I have driven many 100s of thousand miles in Studebakers, but I don't think in any one car because I don't tend to keep cars for a long period of time.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY
                          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

There actually was someone from NY who got over 500,000 miles with a '66 Commander 2-door that was published in TW several years ago.
                            I believe his first name was Jack. Its been several years since I've read the article.

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

There actually was someone from NY who got over 500,000 miles with a '66 Commander 2-door that was published in TW several years ago.
                              I believe his first name was Jack. Its been several years since I've read the article.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
                              X