Giant Studebaker? 1934 Land Cruiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Studebaker? 1934 Land Cruiser?

We are all aware of the giant 1931 model 80 Studebaker Four Season Roadster.
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/giant_car.asp

At the end of the article it alludes to a '34 plaster Land Cruiser at the Chicago World's Fair that was large enough to hold a movie theater.

I don't suppose anyone might have access to a picture of said Land Cruiser.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    <snip>
    I don't suppose anyone might have access to a picture of said Land Cruiser.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There are post cards of the giant Land Cruiser.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Below the article I authored that appeared in the December 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile. Actually it was a sidebar to a more extensive article on the 1934-35 Land Cruisers

The Big and Small of It
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I wanna hear more about this Studebaker they hurled down a "104 foot cliff" that drove away under its own power.

Comment

Wonder how far away they went to find a 104 ft cliff. There is no hills in Indiana.

Comment

Boy, it never ceases to amaze me how, when someone asks a question about a Stude event, someone else comes up with the picture a description of the event. Thanks to Richard Quinn, Studedude, & Deepnhock.
              You guys are great.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have the actual 16mm film showing the car being pushed off the cliff multiple times and being driven away. Seeing is believing!
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard,
                  I don't suppose you ever located a copy of "Wild Flowers"?
                  I suspect there could be a market for all those old "shorts" in digital format before the celluloid falls apart.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Richard,
                    I don't suppose you ever located a copy of "Wild Flowers"?
                    I suspect there could be a market for all those old "shorts" in digital format before the celluloid falls apart.
                    Yes, in fact I did locate "Wild Flowers." The owner is in the process of donating it to the Library of Congress and they have agreed to make a copy available for reproduction.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Wonder how far away they went to find a 104 ft cliff. There is no hills in Indiana.
                      Mr. Quinn outta get a kick out of this then...
                      Hmm a picture of a fence with the car being tossed off of a steep 104 ft dropoff, and there's no hills in Indiana.

Maybe it's Thornton Quarry just over the IL state line then?
                      (Those of you that have came down I-80 going to or from South Bend would pass over this very deep hole in the ground a few miles from the IL-IN state line. )
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                        Mr. Quinn outta get a kick out of this then...
                        Hmm a picture of a fence with the car being tossed off of a steep 104 ft dropoff, and there's no hills in Indiana.

Maybe it's Thornton Quarry just over the IL state line then?
                        (Those of you that have came down I-80 going to or from South Bend would pass over this very deep hole in the ground a few miles from the IL-IN state line. )
                        No, I believe the cliff was in lower Michigan. The Thornton quarrry is limestone and would not have provided for the relatively "soft" landing that I note in the film.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

It was a bit of a joke . No hills in Indiana? Can't find the location of the dropoff? There's a dropoff !!
                          Yep, that's a limestone quarry, and the hard bottom might make for a very stomach turning crunch when it landed. I would think for a soft landing the Indiana Dunes might have also been used, but don't quote me on that .
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Actually after this thread had died some time ago I did another article for Collectible Automobile on the 1934-35 Studebakers (Oct 2013) and in doing research on that I found that the test took place in Pennsylvania though no specific location was cited.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

How many 34 and '35 Landruisers were built? What's the survival rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X