Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have a extra power steering gear box that will fit a 57 hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a extra power steering gear box that will fit a 57 hawk?

anyone have a ps box that will go on a 57 hawk? not sure which years fit,,, maybe someone could help me out with some info....thanks guys

57 is the only year which will fit exc for Packard Hawk
    I have a good one w/auto column available I just pulled last week.
    Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I have a complete '56 box which came from a running car. Just for our info, what are the specific differences between '56 and '57?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I thought all 55-57 were the same. I have one that needs a new pitman seal at least but it was working well otherwise when I pulled it out of my '55 coupe. I packed it with grease to at least provide it with some lube, now I have a rebuilt one that needs to go in. (the one in it now held oil but I think it has a busted spring as it's very darty and wandery. I'd consider that one a candidate for a full rebuild before using it again. I thought I might get lucky and find one that was completely good to go, but not so much.)

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

That Saginaw box was used from 53-59 but not exclusively all years. I've have had several apart and have yet to discover any difference in them.

Comment

Hi christineman
            I have a complete set up here in the UK, but that is not a good location for you

The boxes are the same but I think the coupe steering colum shafts differ depending on the steering wheel used. The change would be at the 56/57 model year when they went to a different spline and shaft diameter.

You need a Hawk setup top get all the right parts. It is the best power steering Studebaker ever made

Regards
            Greg Diffen
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Yes, that is correct. The boxes are the same but mounting brackets, columns & shafts are different. Only a '57 c/k or K9 unit will fit a 57 Hawk.
              As rare as a good unit is I was surprised that anyone would expect to get a good complete unit dirt cheap.
              Barry'd in Studes

Comment

As rare as a good unit is I was surprised that anyone would expect to get a good complete unit dirt cheap.
                So what is the market price for a complete, ready-to-bolt-in-and-drive PS?

Back in the day, before all the '56 GH steering wheels crumbled to dust, I swapped a '56 into a '57. Wasn't too much work, IIRC. The '57 columns are a bit shorter, due to the increased dish in the steering wheel. correct?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X