Need Drums for a Flanged Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Drums for a Flanged Axle

I'm looking for the drums and backing plates (V-8) to fit a flanged axle. If you have them or know where I might find them I would appreciate it. I've had a NOS R/A for years that I would like to use.

Joe
    Last edited by irish; 09-09-2010, 09:25 AM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Joe, email sent. or email : jzeiger3@yahoo.com
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
      I'm looking for the drums and backing plates (V-8) to fit a flanged axle. If you have them or know where I might find them I would appreciate it. I've had a NOS R/A for years that I would like to use.

Joe
      If you have rear drums for a tapered axle you can drill them out for a flanged axle. I used a simple template to drill my 11" rear drums when i changed the axles to flanged.

Here's how I did it:

I cut two holes in a piece of plywood about the size of the standard flanged hole

I then mounted the two "cut outs" to a piece of plywood and taped it with black electrical tape for a snug fit. This centers the pilot hole for the bigger holesaw that you need for the Flanged drum. Notice the two 3/8" holes on opposite sides to set the drum flush to the plywood.

Then use plenty of cutting oil to drill the drum to the proper size needed for the flanged axle.

It took all of an hour to get the flanged drums to fit the new axles

Best of luck

Allen
      Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM.
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

For what it is worth, Turner has disc brakes that work with flanged axles.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

What flange axles ae you referring to? stock 65-66 axles or the Fairborn conversions.

Comment

I'm needing drums for the stock 65-66 axles.
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

I am currently using 1979 Ford Thunderbird drums on my Avanti which has a 1966 flanged axle. I had to have the drum machined from 2 1/4" to 2" and the five mounting holes enlarged slightly to fit. They work very well and are finned drums that are made of heavier material than the original Avanti drums. Check with your local NAPA store. I think that they were not too expensive but then that was a few years ago.

Peter Sant
              KOOL R2

Comment

The drums were available at SI though a bit pricey. You can try a tapered axle drum or a 10" front drum as they fit well on lugs. Either may give you a balance problem. I have front on mine att the moment and have had no problem. The tapered axle backing plates can be made to work by cutting out the center hole exactly as if you were doing a Fairborn conversion. All the hardware will work but it will lack the self adjustment feature. The only
                difference in the shoes is the manual shoes lack the hole for the adjuster pivot.

Comment

Working...
                X