Attn. Parts Repro folks: Oil Breathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn. Parts Repro folks: Oil Breathers

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark,(what you said) guess they would just need to forget to chrome all of them??? I was able to find two n.o.s. painted caps for my new engine!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I think that the chrome ones are stock from another brand. That is why they are available. They are not really Studebaker reproductions.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Why not just paint a chrome one, after scuffing it up a bit, in any color that you like?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Soak the caps in lacquer thinner for a couple of days. Protect your self, blow with compressed air. If stll cruddy, soak some more.

Comment

The non chromed breather caps in question are nothing more than 50's thru 60's GM AC Delco breather caps that were on all of the Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and yes, Cadillacs. Any parts house for the above marque will have them. Studebaker didn't try to re-invent the wheel, they went with what was already on the shelf.

Comment

Well now, that's interesting info!

I went over to Rock Auto and looked up the breather cap for a '63 Chevy with 327, and here's what it showed me: Stant #10061, which does indeed bear a striking resemblance to the Stude widget. $2.95. Still chromed, but I'd feel a lot better about scuffing the plating off a $3 part than I would a $30 part

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't see the word 'Oil' stamped in the part in Clark's picture nor do I see a rivet head, as it looks smooth. Just depends how picky you are about originality. Perhaps there are other manufacturers of these that more closely resemble the Studebaker part?
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  I don't see the word 'Oil' stamped in the part in Clark's picture nor do I see a rivet head, as it looks smooth. Just depends how picky you are about originality. Perhaps there are other manufacturers of these that more closely resemble the Studebaker part?
                  The NOS GM is close, but has the AC logo.

Last edited by JDP; 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

NAPA has a breather cap that is identical to the Stant 10061 that is cad plated and not chrome which should make it paintable. I use them on my cars, while not correct for show cars, they have a better filter element in them. Bud

Comment

Aw shucks folks!...where's your CASO spirit?...Just save your old Beanie-Weanie cans and make your own!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        Aw shucks folks!...where's your CASO spirit?...Just save your old Beanie-Weanie cans and make your own!
                        I likee!!!
                        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                        Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude
                          I was looking for one of those with OIL stamped on it, but all I could find were 710.
                          That's very peculiar Dave. Do you by chance fill your engine with 7IO M0E?
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            That's very peculiar Dave. Do you by chance fill your engine with 7IO M0E?
                            According to The Cooperator he should be using 710 773HS
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              According to The Cooperator he should be using 710 773HS
                              And if you read 7IO upside down what does it spell??? It's a joke ...get it???

Comment

Working...
                              X