Got new Avanti headlinerand roll bar cover installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new Avanti headlinerand roll bar cover installed

Some folks asked for a pic. Ok. Here's how she looks now with the new interior parts. You wouldn't believe how disgustingly dirty and decrepit the old headliner, roll bar cover, and side panels were. Thanks Jon Myer.
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Odd, in the pictures, it looks like it is not little squares, just vertical strips, unlike the other repro's I've seem. BTW, if you have any panels that are just filthy, wipe them down with vinyl prep and paint them with the correct vinyl paint like I did with this stuff.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Very nice items you have there. Yes, I intend to re-paint the console and dash instrument panel too in fawn color. Unfortunately, none of the existing headliner parts appear salvageable. One of the side panels was even broken on the inside and had been duct taped. But, I've not thrown anything out yet. Apparently, the lady that originally owned the car for 37 years was a heavy smoker (like a lotta people in the 60s and 70s). We had to remove tons of residue from under everything on the interior. But, it's coming along nicely now. Regards.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
      Odd, in the pictures, it looks like it is not little squares, just vertical strips, unlike the other repro's I've seem. BTW, if you have any panels that are just filthy, wipe them down with vinyl prep and paint them with the correct vinyl paint like I did with this stuff.
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Anyone that has never owned a Avanti can't appreciate the fact that they are basically kit cars. The interior is basically a bunch of vinyl wrapped cardboard, glued or clipped in place and ready to warp at the first sign of moisture. The fact that they all let water in, just makes it worse.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

That is weird .. no squares .. just strips. My headliner is good, is is just warped
          downward. I was considering misting it damp and then putting it upside down in
          the attic to dry. Anyone tried to bow their headliner back to original before?

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Personally, I am very impressed with the hard plastic headliner and the fiberglass roll bar cover. I was certainly not thrilled with the deteriorated cardboard checkers design (original). Studebaker should've done better with their most prestigious product. JDP is correct that they are basically kit cars. I think they were purposely designed to make you take them back to the Studebaker dealer for maintenance/repairs. Ever try to work on an electric window motor or windshield wiper linkage?? They were certainly not designed for easy access.
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

JDP - where do you find correct Avanti Red vinyl paint (or dye?)? Something that will duplicate the original color to match or closely match the seat covers you sell. If I can ever locate a pair of original style Avanti front seats to buy, I'll be in the market for both items.

edpjr - thanks for the picture. I'm looking at re-doing my 83, and the pic helps me visualize how this kind of headliner might be trimmed to work in it.

Comment

I'm aware of a pair of original Avanti front seats in black less the support or mount brackets for sale here in Ontario. E-mail me and I'll supply the contact info.

Comment

Note: After close inspection, the new white plastic headliner DOES have the checkerboard dimpling. It's just not very pronounced.
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Got your PM yesterday and sent a reply with the contact info. Check your "notifications" bar at the top. If the reply is not there e-mail me at http://studeypatterson@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X