No announcement yet.

R3 Factory Prototype 7 Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owner said they were early 90's rims but he did have period correct Craiger Mags for it.The garage was so crammed it would seem impossible to locate some items.He claimed to have a new short block but I couldn't see it.I believe the to be a VERY rare Avanti with history

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
      Build sheet with info on{ IS THIS A R3) thread sent in by JDP VIN # 63R5650 engine # EX2132 It's real proto type
      Here's the build sheet again, clearly showing it equipped with a EX2132 R2 when sold in 1964 I have that build sheet in my file.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

[QUOTE=kmul221;485774]A few picture of the possible R3 prototype (MULE) that I recently discovered. Owner is considering selling. What is it worth ?

As you might know by now, I'm skeptical about it being a R3 prototype since the build sheet shows it was sold with the original EX R2 engine. It may have had all the R3 stuff added later, since Paxton sold many more R3 crate engine than were factory installed. It's a interesting car in many ways, built in early 62, converted to 64 and sold after the SB shut down, than losing the EX R2 at some point. If it's a real Paxton R3, that's a 10-15K engine alone, so it should be a 25-35K car even in it's present condition.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Appears to be an early '63 body with a '64 front clip. The left inner front fender panel has the inset for the type 24 battery. The front clip could have been changed at the factory, but then why not the hood, to allow the hood prop to be placed on the right side. The battery has been placed in the trunk and the overflow bottle put in the battery well. Everything else looks good for an R3 conversion. No extra tunnel cooling though. Is the rear axle the flanged R3 type?

The cutout for the air induction hose on the right fender apron looks crude and definitely not factory. The R3 conversion would have been post factory sale, as JDP indicates.
          Last edited by WCP; 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

If the engine is a true R3 (looks like it is) and it is "free" (turns), then, to me, the car, in its present condition, is about $18K-$20K.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's dirty and dusty. I think the owner should just give it to me!!
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Its not worth much at all .. I wouldn't waste your time with it. Totally unrelated
                to that, whats the guys contact info??

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

BUY IT, ship it to me and I will dust it for Granatelli fingerprints.

Comment

What's with the 140 mph speedo?
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

All early R2 Avantis had 140 mph speedos. The basic body is an early '63 unit as is the hood with the cross brace.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up! can'nt figure why? 160s were around prior to that!
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I don't think so. The 160 speedo was added to the R2 in the fall of '62, certainly after mid Sept. 62. The specific date is a question mark. My guess is that the change occurred with or after the 1st Bonneville runs.

Comment

What a neat find.

I am amazed how many cars that left the factory wearing a color (i.e., metallic red) wind up wearing no color (white). I have owned many, many cars over the years that came to me in sickly, putrid, dead white - Barney included. I dunno why people do that.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Prior to, as with Speedsters and Golden Hawks.just kinda seems they went backwards in that!
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                                What a neat find.

I am amazed how many cars that left the factory wearing a color (i.e., metallic red) wind up wearing no color (white). I have owned many, many cars over the years that came to me in sickly, putrid, dead white - Barney included. I dunno why people do that.
                                The putrid white hides the fiberglass flaws.
                                Quite a find in any case.
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X