No Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Title

My dad has a california car he bought with no title.
    It was an internet buy the was listed as having a title.
    He went past the ebay 90 day limit.
    The person who delivered it was given apps for a new title that were improperly filled out.
    The broker who sold it refused to correct the issue.

Anyone have any experience with title problems?

The car runs like a dream,it would be a shame to have to part it out.
    Last edited by crusadex; 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM.

If you have the last License plate or number, an old registration card, (& it was Calif.) any documentation or name & address of the former registered owner, the DMV MAY be able to help by checking/verifying that the Serial Number (Vin.) on the car matches. The worst scenario would be having them issue a Calif. Vin. Number sticker and not using the Car's actual Serial Number, which you want to avoid if at all possible.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There are several forms that must be filled out with the CA DMV to transfer the title. In this case, you might want to file for a lost title. Personally, I'd consider reporting the broker to the DMV for selling a vehicle without proper documentation which is illegal in California.

Start with the lost title. If you can, I'd suggest going to a CA DMV office (in Yreka perhaps?) and talk to them. This can be straightened out. It's a hassle, however quite do-able.

Oh, one more thing, report this joker to e-bay. They might not be able to do much, however they can flag the jerk.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Studebakerclunker said:,"Personally, I'd consider reporting the broker to the DMV for selling a vehicle without proper documentation which is illegal in California."
        I'm seriously considering that.When i get all of the purchase info.I wasn't part of the transaction and the people who helped him dropped the ball badly.
        I'm told that they do have contact info and documents from the broker.
        My dad's old and the kind of guy that still cusses GM for the demise of Studebaker.
        When we got the car running he lit up like a christmas tree.
        I want to see him enjoy his car while he still can.

Comment

Yeah,the last part has me a little concerned

Comment

Get all the information you can before going to the DMV. They love to string you along for an hour, then send you home for want of one document. So, get everything you can. When you do start the process, get every form you need or even think you need and fill them out completely. They love it when you cooperate with their nosiness. LOL, just kidding. But the DMV is really picky to make sure all the documentation is perfect. In the end it's all for your protection anyway. Annoying in the extreme sometimes though...
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I recently had a similar issue.
              The California DMV did not have records on file because the car had been over five years since it was last registered.
              I used a network of connections and found the previous owners widow.
              I discovered that the previous owner was a paranoid guy with many names and that they were still finding things they did not know he owned.
              Lost title was the only option available to me.

Comment

Check this link out. Sounds like he has helped out other HAMB people

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=386646
                59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
                51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                27 Ford Roadster
                Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Very easy to do if you are in California, if the car has not been in the state system for 5 years or more and they have not tried to get a new one yet it is no big deal...Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I just went through this on the 1920 Studebaker I bought from Illinois. The serial number did not match the title! It IS very hard to read. I had to have a Westfield Police Officer verify the number, he ended up using fingerprint powder to see it! (my new Studebaker has already been finger printed) LOL Anyway, after a second trip to BMV here in Indiana, I was told that I needed a second Officer to verify the number. I did that, and last Saturday went down and showed the supervisor all my paperwork, I even had them correct the year from the Illinois title (1921) to the correct year
                    (1920) and I should receive the title in about 3-4 weeks.
                    I have found out (maybe it's "older wisdom" that if you play their game, give them what they want, they will be much more receptive to a "minor" issue! (and a major one too, like wrong serial number and year)
                    Maybe I just got lucky, but the BMV in Noblesville has always been good to me.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Don't know how it works in CA or Oregon but here in NC, you can fill out a few forms and get an indemnity bond for not too much money (mine was about $125). Just take it all down to DMV and they will issue you a NC title. The bond would pay anybody that made a claim on the car in the next 3 years but you keep the car.

May want to check with your local DMV and see if they have a similar process. I found all the info I need on the NC DMV's web-site.

Good luck
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Heck... In Georgia, if it is 25 years old, or older, you don't need a title.
                        In fact, if you 'insist' on getting a title, they charge you extra for the privilege.
                        (a small detail to think about if you ever intend to sell it in an intrusive state)......
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ya try and bring a car into California from Georgia with out a title, very hard to do and one big headache, been there done that.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

WOW! Talk about some service from the Indiana BMV! Last SaturdayAugust 27th, I went to the Noblesville BMV (they're open until noon) I presented all the paperwork I had for my newly aquired 1920 Light 6 EJ Touring. The title I received from the seller in Illinois, had the wrong serial number, I had 2 different Westfield Police Officers verify the vin. (per BMV the week before) I also had a bill of sale with the wrong serial number on it, and, the wrong title and bill of sale had the wrong year (1921)
                            So, i go in, apply for a title, change the year, and model (originally listed as a 4 door) which it is, but---
                            I leave BMV and the gal tells me, I'll get a title in 4-6 weeks. So, today i get home, and low and behold, I now have a CORRECT title, with the correct year, serial number, and now has 1920 Studebaker Light 6 EJ Touring on the title. Seven days after I was at BMV!
                            Looks like ole' "Uncle Mitch" (Mitch Daniels, Governor) has turned one of the worst BMV's in the country into a smooth sailing operation!

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                              WOW! Talk about some service from the Indiana BMV!>>>Looks like ole' "Uncle Mitch" (Mitch Daniels, Governor) has turned one of the worst BMV's in the country into a smooth sailing operation!<<<
                              Jim
                              WOW is right! Didn’t "Your Man MITCH" sell the Indiana BMV to a Spanish company? No, no, now I remember, it was Interstate 80 and Interstate 90 (a.k.a. the Indiana Toll Road) he sold to them!!!

Anyway …good thing you got all your business taken care of now …my friend at the IN BMV here says there are “sweeping changes coming at the first of the year.” You’ll be able to do most everything online! BUT…if your particular situation requires the services of a real live breathing person at one of the few remaining BMV locations, be prepared to wait & wait & wait!
                              Last edited by Welcome; 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X