great Studebaker season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great Studebaker season

Every fall I say I am going to get this or that done and something else comes up. This year I started on the avanti and fixed the blown heater core. It appeared to have frozen up at some point and had been fixed with stop leak. Probably in Alaska where I got it.[V] I had been nursing it along and since there were no carpets I just cleaned it up when it decided to open up. Anyway its all fixed and is no longer a sauna on wheels.[8D] Next on to the 63 cruiser to fix the oil leak. Well maybe pull the engine and clean it too. Pull the trans a;ong with it. Might as well put in new soft plugs. Its out might as well change the valve seals. Not much more to just pull the heads and lap the valves.
    For Christmas I went to Alaska and on of my sons there got marrried. great to have the family together for the holidays.
    Back home again. Heads are off I might as well pull the pan and change the seals. Its pretty dirty in here I might as well clean it. Well I could real quick hone it put in some new rings and bearings since it really isn't worn. I know I need to flush the casting sand and clean out the coolant passages. No engine in here I should clean this engine compartment and paint the frame.
    My Uncles 50 land cruiser had transmission troubles so after much research I ran down Santa Monica[8D] and pulled the transmission. While I was there I drove one of his Avanti's and noticed the pinion bearings were whining so he figured to have them fixed.[xx(] That was on the way to the Peterson Museum where he volunteers sometimes. He took me through the vaults to see the real collection.[] Talk about automotive heaven. The public doesn't see the unbelievable cars that are there but a few at a time.[][^] I learned everything I could about the DG 200 and brought it back to Idaho to fix it.
    I finished putting the engine back in the 63 Cruiser and last week took it on a cruise to watch a plowing bee. About ten teams of horses and mules were on hand to prepare a field for planting. They also had old wagons and tractors on display. A 51 chmpion starlite was also there but I didn't find the owner. I believe it was in the Spokane show. A beautiful grey car. There were about 60 XXX cars and trucks on the cruise. 130 mile round trip with no problems and there isn't a puddle of oil under the car after I got home. Nice to have things work. I did discover the brakes were sticking so I rebuilt the rear wheel cylinders.[V] Didn't have to heat and beat. Just used the puller. Will do the calipers next.
    I got the parts for the DG 200 and just finished putting it back together. Now another trip to LA[8D] to put it in and on to my 51 starlite commander. And the Avanti. And the 64 Cruiser...
    It has been a great winter and I have a good car ready to go as needed. After so many years of 'gonna' I finally did.
    Rob

I envy you,I wish I had that much motivation.But hey good for you, at the rate you are going you should be out of things to do this afternoon.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I envy you,I wish I had that much motivation.But hey good for you, at the rate you are going you should be out of things to do this afternoon.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
      X