1952 early/late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 early/late

From time to time as I am looking at various parts sources I see a reference to a part being applicable to either an "early" or "late" 52 vehicle. Is there a specific point in the production that differentiates the early models from the late models?

The parts book will usually give a before or after a certain serial number for parts that have changed. The problem is that some parts like the 52 parklight lenses use the same number even though they were changed.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yep, the park light lenses are either curved in the rear where they mount to the head light bucket, or flat. The nameplate "Commander" was also changed, the early was a rectangle emblem, the late was the script style.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

So if I understand: the early/late is part specific for those parts that changed some time during the production run. My rear Commander emblem is the rectangle and the parking lights are the flat backed (have 3 flat-back lenses/w two buckets and one round back lens/w bucket assy) style. I'll have to wait until I get a Parts Book to know what is what. Thanks for the insight.
        Last edited by fatboylust; 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM. Reason: correct inaccurate info

Comment

And even earlier '52's still used the '51 headlight door and park lens.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            And even earlier '52's still used the '51 headlight door and park lens.
            I didn't know that. I don't recall seeing one. Anyone have a picture?
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Early '52s also had rubber door sill plates, the later had the aluminum ones. Other than the park lenses and the Commander script, I know of no other differences, except minor mechanical running changes.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Anyone have a picture?
                I can put the '51 headlights on any '52 and take a picture. The Chassis Catalog will tell you if a particular VIN would have been equipped with them from the factory.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X