Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My home built ohv manifold

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...achmentid=2899

After seeing a picture on an old Hemmings article about Bill Cathcart, I saw a picture of an old Offenhauser manifold for a Champion Flathead. Since nobody that I can think of made anything for an OHV six, I thought I would give it a whirl. I had some big exhaust flanges that I bought from JC Whitney years ago that I welded up, 1/4 plate could be used to. I welded 1 3/4, 1 5/8 and 1 1/2 tubing inside each other so I could grind a transition from round tube to rectangular port... have not done that yet but each of these runners is around 4 inches long.

I had a 2 1/2 tube that I found somewhere, cut it down to 16 1/2. I made the carb bases out of exhaust flanges and fine threaded bolts, I perhaps should have welded some plate together and tapped instead of welding a bolt to the flange.

While I was putting this all together I had it bolted to an extra ohv head to hopefully prevent warping... it warped a little, nothing that a hammer wouldn't solve. I need to get a gasket to do some more filing and grinding.

If anyone with better fabrication skills wants to help make more of these things, it can also be engineered for a 2bb ww if for a ohv 185

Jeff T.
    Last edited by Jeff T.; 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Hope that works out. Looks like fun.

Comment

Thanks for posting this and the pic Jeff!! Really neat ideas there, well thought out.

Do you plan on installing soon and testing?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Jeff - Looks great! Add some headers too! I had a set built for the OHV 6 a couple of years ago (but I'm still using the standard intake):
        Attached Files
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I have to get a hold of Bill Cathcart to see if he can make a set of exhaust headers. If not I have to figure out how to braze or weld to cast iron. I have extra ohv exhaust manifolds somewhere

Jeff T.

As far as testing, I have to clean up a pair of Carter AS carbs and put my extra six on it's truck frame for bench testing, if I haven't got headers yet I'll cap the stock manifold with some plate.
          Last edited by Jeff T.; 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
          X