Met the original owners of my Skytop yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Pretty cool story. I wonder, why did they get the R1? Did they want it specifically or did it just happen they found it equipped that way?

You might drop them a note and tell them they will be welcome to come and see it anytime they like when it eventually takes up residence in my garage
    Bob, they ordered the car as payment for construction work they did for the Stude dealer in their town. They were trying to get the price up-up-up to cover the bill! I think they decided on the most-expensive, steel-roofed Stude they could buy with a bench seat!

In describing the Stude dealer back then, whom they liked, they were saying that if they ever looked at a used car on his lot, and asked him, 'what's the mileage on this car?', he'd reply, 'whatever you want it to be!' (LOL).
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      Bob, they ordered the car as payment for construction work they did for the Stude dealer in their town. They were trying to get the price up-up-up to cover the bill! I think they decided on the most-expensive, steel-roofed Stude they could buy with a bench seat!
      Interesting! So why not a full-package R2?
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        Interesting! So why not a full-package R2?
        You couldn't get an R2 with AC. He remembered that the two were mutually exclusive, and said he wanted a car with AC and this was their first. Also, this car was built so early in the '63 model year that the full 'Super' packages weren't available yet...although I believe I've read that most of the individual pieces could be ordered separately then. He asked me if it still had the 'limited slip' rear axle (Twin Traction). I told him yes and he said that did come in handy in Moorhead's snowy winters.
        Last edited by Bill Pressler; 08-25-2010, 05:28 AM. Reason: addition
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
        X