No announcement yet.

Selling my baby, 1960 Lark Regal VIII Convertible! Come see the video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Studebaker collector wanted me to crawl undeneath and check the rear end and what the numbers are and if it had a #44, this one has a number #41-11 373.

He says the 44 stands for Twin Traction, is this true could of they replaced my rear end or just the differential or?

Please help me on this for I can post it on the add before it closes and want to be clear.

Thanks Jerry

Comment

If you are underneath looking at the differential cover, the number is at about 4 0'clock to the right of that cover. The number will be raised on the flat rectangular area (and probably under grease and dirt) and on the actual differential, not a tag. It will either read 44, or 27, or in rare cases for an L body V/8, 23.

Mine is a Dana 44 TT and the metal tag that you mentioned is the ratio tag and reads 43:13. Twin Traction 3:31 gears. Yours has 3:73 gears. In 1960, your car could have been ordered with a standard 23, 27, or a standard 44 differential with 3:73 gears, or as a Twin Traction 23, 27, or 44 with 3:73 gears- special order. The parts book reads that the 23 differential was only in 1959, but later lists 23 parts for both standard and TT, and were available for 1960 V/8s, too. Weird, but the parts books are not always without typos.

You should have a rectangular tag at 3 o'clock that reads "Twin Traction Lubrication" if it is a TT and another smaller tag that reads 45B or 45C. Of course those could have been taken off and lost. The 41:11 tag at 7 o'clock are the amount of gear teeth. Someone here will know instantly if that gearing is a TT. I'm not sure, sorry.
      Last edited by barnlark; 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1960Lark View Post
        A Studebaker collector wanted me to crawl undeneath and check the rear end and what the numbers are and if it had a #44, this one has a number #41-11 373.

He says the 44 stands for Twin Traction, is this true could of they replaced my rear end or just the differential or?

Please help me on this for I can post it on the add before it closes and want to be clear.

Thanks Jerry
        The 44 DOES NOT stand for TT. You can have a 44 rear end either open or with TT. The 41-11 indicates the numbers of teeth on the ring and pinion. In your case it is a 3.73 ratio. It might have a second tag under one of the cover bolts that indicates TT, but they aren't always there. Take out the plug, stick your finger in the hole. If you don't feel machinery, it isn't a TT. If you hit something solid in a half inch or so, it is a TT. If your car was factory equipped with a TT you should have a TT emblem on the back panel above the bumper.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Actually the whole exercise is a waste of time, they either want that Color, Transmission type and Engine type or they don't, the axle should be the least of their concern and not be a deal breaker. Ifd they don't like the ratio let em change it.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Exactly, Rich, the buyer either wants it or not, but they did ask for his help to identify it. Just trying to help!

If I were seriously interested in the car, I'd sure like to add up what I might need to spend when it arrived. Finding another TT diff, maybe shipping, brakes, parts, etc., and perhaps a flanged axle upgrade sure isn't a cheap endeavor. I wouldn't want an open 27 with that V/8 after what happened to mine.

The rear end could have been swapped at any time, regardless of the TT emblem, especially if it had a standard 27 for that V/8. I doubt it was swapped, though.

Comment

Actually I think it was changed, it is way too long ago for me to remember what the Transmission shop owner was doing to it, but when he put the Cruise-O-Matic in it with Low Gear start, I think he did put in a 44, but it was a bad choice for ratio, as a 3.73 is a bit steep if you want to cruise the Interstates. Most Lark VIII Automatics were 3.07, but a Convertible would have been 3.31 or 3.54 because of the weight. The fact that it is a 3.73 tells me it probably was changed, but no way to tell without the Production Order, you never know, a Street Racer may have ordered it that way!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can't believe what that car pulled! Good job, 1960Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                  I can't believe what that car pulled! Good job, 1960Lark.
                  Jerry, I don't know if the price that it sold for is high or low, I hope quite high. But my compliments on the ad. I think the pictures and particularly the videos made a strong case for the nice condition of the car.

By the way, Any chance you have some scrap now as you were out when you made the video.

Congrats, a nice car.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X