Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You ain't gonna believe this Avanti luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ain't gonna believe this Avanti luck!

As noted in some other posts, my Avanti turned out to have a regular 35 amp Stude Prestolite alternator on it versus the original 40 amp type. The brushes and who knows what else were burnt up in it. Last week my brother took the alternator to an electrical shop to have it checked and fixed. A week later they still hadn't touched it. So he picked it back up today and was going to install brushes himself. Well NAPA didn't have any, so he headed back home. On the way he stopped at this little independent parts shop that sells mostly old stuff to see if perchance they had brushes. Years ago the place used to be a Hudson dealership. The old sign remained on the building till well into the 80s. The counter guy took one look at the alternator and said, "I don't have any brushes, but I may have something you can use." He goes into the back and comes out with a cobweb covered 40 amp Prestolite alternator exactly like the one shown in the Avanti shop manual. It was fully factory rebuilt and had never been sold. The parts guy said it had been on the shelf for 20+ years and that he'd take $20 for it with no core exchange needed. As of now, she's installed on my Avanti and producing about 14V charge at low speeds. I was due a bit of luck with this car. Thanks you Lord!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Sweet..
    Now you can take your time and get the correct parts to rebuild the alterntor properly and keep it as a valuable spare.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great story... You were happy to get it and the parts store was happy not to have to count it in another inventory for another 20+ years. Better score!
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Good score! It's amazing what some of these old time parts dealers have in inventory. Is the alternator you bought a model ALE-5003? If so, it is a genuine Avanti alternator.

You can get a new Prestolite tag for it from Studebaker International if it needs one.

Again...great score!
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Amazing .. proof this stuff IS still out there!

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Exactly! The 35 Amp is now repaired and could be used on the Avanti or my '66 Commander if/when needed.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Sweet..
            Now you can take your time and get the correct parts to rebuild the alterntor properly and keep it as a valuable spare.
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

This reminds me of the time my Plymouth Voyager alternator went. Easy to remove. Problem was brushes.

New alternator $200. Brush set - get ready - $125.

So I'm driving up north and have a good idea exactly what I'm looking for. No one seem to have the right parts in these parts.

On a whim (intuition?), I pull off the highway about 50 miles from my home, and there is a truck stop. I ask if he has any alternator brushes, and he pulls out the correct set. Then to top it off, he refused to accept any money for them!

I've paid that one forward a few times.

Comment

Working...
              X