• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes Controversy model???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...US_Cars_Trucks

Huh?

Originally posted by Turbopackman View Post
    All it means is that he's selling an early production '53 that used the Tri-star emblems that Mercedes Benz expressed their disfavor over, stating it looked too much like theirs.

Craig

Comment

Ahh, I was wondering just what the heck that means, I figured there would have been more of a controversy with the introduction of the '56 Hawk models!

Forgive my Studebaker ignorance, please carry on.....

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopackman View Post
        Ahh, I was wondering just what the heck that means, I figured there would have been more of a controversy with the introduction of the '56 Hawk models!

Forgive my Studebaker ignorance, please carry on.....
        I'll forgive yours if you forgive mine. I didn't know there was any controversy surrounding the introduction of the Hawk. Enlighten me please!
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well, the grille on the '56 Hawk DOES look KINDA like a Mercedes grille.... to me at least!

Comment

That's a weird listing- no way to enlarge the pictures... at least not on my screen...?
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              That's a weird listing- no way to enlarge the pictures... at least not on my screen...?
              Could be due to the seller's inexperience with eBay. (at least under the current name) This seems to be his first ever for sale listing. Then, it could also mean he don't want to show you close-ups of all that rust!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As a 15-year member of the Mercedes club (they have a great magazine with lots of history pieces), that's the first I've heard of a Studebaker/Mercedes controversy.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It was quite late in the model year that Studebaker stopped using the tri-star (in most locations on the car) and they never stopped using it for the 1953 models built in Vernon. This means that most 1953s are tri-star cars, not just some very early production. Other things, bresides the S/N and body number, identify very early 1953s, like the package shelf filler and the exposed C-pillar seam.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here's a Popular Science article from 1954 that mentions the Mercedes complaint in a caption under the front view of the 54 Connestoga Wagon. Studebaker-Packard signed on to sell M-B in 1957. I know they ended up to with the rights to M-B through the deal with Curtis-Wright, but I've always wondered if the 1953 emblem problem opened communications between the two firms?:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9i0...page&q&f=false

Comment

Working...
                    X