Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti owners.......how sharp are your eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it, they were driveing around southern California with no traffic !

Comment

First hint..................less than one minute into the film.........I just paused the film again in this one shot.....it becomes glaring every time I watch:-)

Comment

no steering wheel in a quick shot from dr. door ?

Comment

They flipped the negative so it appears that the car is RHC. Then there's no seat belts. Also, I didn't know that my car has a "coarse (or is it course?) flow radiator", "lullaby type" windshield wipers, and is "a study of Art in Metal".
          Last edited by R2Andrea; 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM.
          R2Andrea

Comment

I believe our Avanti was # 104, and that surely wasn't considered a prototype was it ?? It had a dash mounted mirror that was a tiny, almost useless thing.

Comment

Is it the part with no trunk lid with the girl in the back seat??

Comment

Well it looks like the front wheel is body color, not white. It has a Hawk mirror screwed to the dash. In one shot there's no steering wheel or instrument panel (flipped negative?). The head on shot of the steering wheel and gauges shows a Powershift shifter, and a clutch pedal.*

*I have talked with a guy who field tested Avantis before production. He tested 2 different cars, one was equipped with a 4 speed and the other had a "Hydramatic" transmission. He preferred the latter, and said that you could shift if manually, or it would shift itself. This guy has been a Studebaker enthusiast since the '50's and still owns them today. He knows his stuff.
                Last edited by mbstude; 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Shot at 00:45 looks like it's missing the wheel and the instrument cluster hood until you realize it's just the shot from 00:40 flipped horizontally.

I vote for the hideous shifter boot @ 00:52.

Comment

Matt,

Congrats.......you are our big winner......you correctly pointed out that the car has a clutch pedal and a powershift auto trans gear selector!

Where shall I have QVC ship the dry iced lobster? :-)
                    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Well it looks like the front wheel is body color, not white. It has a Hawk mirror screwed to the dash. In one shot there's no steering wheel or instrument panel (flipped negative?). The head on shot of the steering wheel and gauges shows a Powershift shifter, and a clutch pedal.*

*I have talked with a guy who field tested Avantis before production. He tested 2 different cars, one was equipped with a 4 speed and the other had a "Hydramatic" transmission. He preferred the latter, and said that you could shift if manually, or it would shift itself. This guy has been a Studebaker enthusiast since the '50's and still owns them today. He knows his stuff.

Comment

Very nice video ... the intro with still photos and weird music is just strange.

I wonder who the female voice was providing naration towards the end of the clip? I love how she rolls "Avanti" off of her tongue .... could it be one of the Gabor sisters?
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

The video and it's high art pictoral dipictions could be considered Madison Avenue at it's best..remember this spot was shot early in 1963 and as I mentioned previously Studebakers agency was D'Arcy....
                        Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                        Very nice video ... the intro with still photos and weird music is just strange.

I wonder who the female voice was providing naration towards the end of the clip? I love how she rolls "Avanti" off of her tongue .... could it be one of the Gabor sisters?

Comment

Laemmle, I sent you a private message through the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
                            Matt,

Congrats.......you are our big winner......you correctly pointed out that the car has a clutch pedal and a powershift auto trans gear selector!
                            At the risk of being a wet blanket...(who me? )
                            I think it's clear that it's not the same car..and I don't think it was the film makers intent to try to present it as the same car.
                            The stick model seem to have a elk interior (as well as the funny shift boot), whereas the auto car has a standard fawn colored trim on the console.
                            The stills are just various ad/PR shots edited together in time with the music.

But I did notice how the cars shown don't have any exterior mirrors.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                            X