Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti owners.......how sharp are your eyes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I got it, they were driveing around southern California with no traffic !

    Comment


    • #17
      First hint..................less than one minute into the film.........I just paused the film again in this one shot.....it becomes glaring every time I watch:-)

      Comment


      • #18
        no steering wheel in a quick shot from dr. door ?

        Comment


        • #19
          They flipped the negative so it appears that the car is RHC. Then there's no seat belts. Also, I didn't know that my car has a "coarse (or is it course?) flow radiator", "lullaby type" windshield wipers, and is "a study of Art in Metal".
          Last edited by R2Andrea; 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM.
          R2Andrea

          Comment


          • #20
            I believe our Avanti was # 104, and that surely wasn't considered a prototype was it ?? It had a dash mounted mirror that was a tiny, almost useless thing.

            Comment


            • #21
              Is it the part with no trunk lid with the girl in the back seat??

              Comment


              • #22
                Well it looks like the front wheel is body color, not white. It has a Hawk mirror screwed to the dash. In one shot there's no steering wheel or instrument panel (flipped negative?). The head on shot of the steering wheel and gauges shows a Powershift shifter, and a clutch pedal.*

                *I have talked with a guy who field tested Avantis before production. He tested 2 different cars, one was equipped with a 4 speed and the other had a "Hydramatic" transmission. He preferred the latter, and said that you could shift if manually, or it would shift itself. This guy has been a Studebaker enthusiast since the '50's and still owns them today. He knows his stuff.
                Last edited by mbstude; 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Shot at 00:45 looks like it's missing the wheel and the instrument cluster hood until you realize it's just the shot from 00:40 flipped horizontally.

                  I vote for the hideous shifter boot @ 00:52.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Matt,

                    Congrats.......you are our big winner......you correctly pointed out that the car has a clutch pedal and a powershift auto trans gear selector!

                    Where shall I have QVC ship the dry iced lobster? :-)
                    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Well it looks like the front wheel is body color, not white. It has a Hawk mirror screwed to the dash. In one shot there's no steering wheel or instrument panel (flipped negative?). The head on shot of the steering wheel and gauges shows a Powershift shifter, and a clutch pedal.*

                    *I have talked with a guy who field tested Avantis before production. He tested 2 different cars, one was equipped with a 4 speed and the other had a "Hydramatic" transmission. He preferred the latter, and said that you could shift if manually, or it would shift itself. This guy has been a Studebaker enthusiast since the '50's and still owns them today. He knows his stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Very nice video ... the intro with still photos and weird music is just strange.

                      I wonder who the female voice was providing naration towards the end of the clip? I love how she rolls "Avanti" off of her tongue .... could it be one of the Gabor sisters?
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The video and it's high art pictoral dipictions could be considered Madison Avenue at it's best..remember this spot was shot early in 1963 and as I mentioned previously Studebakers agency was D'Arcy....
                        Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                        Very nice video ... the intro with still photos and weird music is just strange.

                        I wonder who the female voice was providing naration towards the end of the clip? I love how she rolls "Avanti" off of her tongue .... could it be one of the Gabor sisters?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Laemmle, I sent you a private message through the forum.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
                            Matt,

                            Congrats.......you are our big winner......you correctly pointed out that the car has a clutch pedal and a powershift auto trans gear selector!
                            At the risk of being a wet blanket...(who me? )
                            I think it's clear that it's not the same car..and I don't think it was the film makers intent to try to present it as the same car.
                            The stick model seem to have a elk interior (as well as the funny shift boot), whereas the auto car has a standard fawn colored trim on the console.
                            The stills are just various ad/PR shots edited together in time with the music.

                            But I did notice how the cars shown don't have any exterior mirrors.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

                            Washington State

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X