No announcement yet.

I need Brake Drums for my Champ truck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Brake Drums for my Champ truck!

Looks like I'm going to need some brake drums for the rear. It appears that someone was clueless as to how to remove the drums on a Stude. My drums are ruined, both have big chips in them and have been beaten to death with a hammer. They are warped and the one on the passenger side has a nice long crack in it! So I won't be able to take my new (to me) truck out for a spin anytime soon. This is for an 8E5, the drums would have to be from a 63 or 64 1/2 ton. I need the drums with the hub. Email me at irishnra@cox.net.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by irish; 08-07-2010, 10:04 AM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Try Vern Ediger in Halstead, Kansas. 316.215.1166

Comment

The '63-'64 drums fit all Studebaker 1/2 ton trucks back to 1941 - plus '47-'50 Commanders and some pre-war cars, as well - so there is a pretty good chance that an earlier drum could be used. You may have to swap hubs, though.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The drums aren't the same, in 1963 Stude switched to a 2 1/4" wide shoe on the 1/2 ton truck.

Joe
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

So Joe, are the hubs themselves damaged beyond usable ?
          Dean

CLEM

Comment

The hubs appear to be fine, but it would make things easier if I got the drum with the hub attached.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Sometimes Joe, you don't get your druthers! The Hub and Drum Assemblies when found, are way more rare than Drum Only, and almost double the PRICE.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Will the drums off of a 56 wagon work. There still on the rearend and they are free.

Comment

Here's what I did.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...s/trkdrum.html

Comment

Joe, I have some used rear drums here.That I THINK are good to face up and use? though I do'nt know what they measure,maybe I can get the local garage to check them?
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I sent you a PM, you can email me at irishnra@cox.net

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      sigpic

1962 Daytona
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And a few others

Comment

Why not try that chevy truck drum swap? Take your hubs have longer studs installed and use 76 vintage chevy pu rear drums. The chevy drums run around $40 or so. If you cannot get Studebaker parts there is at least a plan B.

Jeff T.
                        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                        The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                          Why not try that chevy truck drum swap? Take your hubs have longer studs installed and use 76 vintage chevy pu rear drums. The chevy drums run around $40 or so. If you cannot get Studebaker parts there is at least a plan B.
                          I like that idea but will it work on a 1963 1/2 ton? I have 2 1/4" wide shoes. 1962 and earlier 1/2 tons have 2" wide shoes and a different drum. So I guess the question is really what year Champ can you do the chevy truck drum swap on?

Joe
                          sigpic

1962 Daytona
                          1964 Cruiser
                          And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post

Jeff T.

Will the Chevy drum conversion work with the later model wider brakes? Thanks, Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Now that you have said that your hubs are ok, I was going to suggest that you consider converting to Chevy 1/2 ton drums, but Matt and Jeff got ahead of me. I just did the conversion recently on my '63 8E7 Champ. There is a very good "how to" on Bob Johnstone's Avanti resource site that was done by Bob Stehlik who is in our Cascade Chapter SDC. Bob's truck is a '62 7E7, and as I discovered during the changeover there is some difference in the procedure between the two series in getting the job done (at least on mine anyway). The 11x2" 5E thru 7E brakes will fit in the Chevy drums on those trucks with proper alignment to the backing plates as shown in Bob's article without any clearance issues if the hubs are machined about as shown in his photos. The problem I ran into with my 8E 11x2 1/4" brake shoes involved having the inconsistent manufacturing processes of Chinese drum suppliers. 3 of the 4 drums that I purchased had a ridge perpendicular to the shoe contact face at the back that prevented the drums from going all the way on do to the extra 1/4" width that 8E shoes have over 5E-7E shoes, so the drums stuck out away just a bit to much from the backing plates. I took the 3 offending drums to a machine shop that could do the work and they machined the ridge about .090", which in effect was widening the shoe face to 2 1/4"+.090". One thing that helped was that I was using reman shoes that I purchased from SI and they actually measure 2 1/8" width. If they were a full 2 1/4" width it would have been real touchy doing the installation because the machining would contact the back of the drum. The other factor is how much material do you have machined off the face of the hub because that also affects how far the drums go toward the backing plate. If you have just enough removed to allow for a ring to engage the center hole on the wheel you will be close to what you need. There is going to be a balance here between how much material is machined off the hub and how much is removed from the ridge in the drum to get the correct alignment with the backing plate. Then you must decide which wheel stud length you will need to match your particular wheel. The studs that you see in Bob's article were needed for the custom alloy wheels that he had and that's why he had to use the extra long studs and then add washers. I have Chevy steel 15x7 van wheels and was able to use shorter studs with proper fit. Anyway, these were the issues that I ran into doing the conversion on my 8E7 1/2 ton Champ and I would do it again.
                              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                              X