Need help with '60 Lark convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with '60 Lark convertible

I am repairing some rust on the bottom of my '60 Lark convertible. I purchased floor panels from Classic Enterprises, but on my car there appears to be other sheet metal in addition to the floor panels. From the little sheet metal that is left it appears that what was originally there may have looked a lot like what is called a "hog trough" or torque box. There is an article in the July issue of Turning Wheels that shows torque boxes being installed on an Avanti. Does anyone know whether a '60 Lark convertible should have a similar setup to the Avanti? Also, if you have a '60 Lark convertible can you supply some photos of what it should look like under the car? Or can anyone point me in the direction of photos on the internet? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Yes, all Convertibles and Hardtops needed frame/floor reinforcements (hog troughs).
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I took what was left of mine and had a sheet metal buddy make them up for me. There are no reproduction convert/hardtop hogthroughs available.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yes, all Convertibles and Hardtops needed frame/floor reinforcements (hog troughs).
        But the convertible "hog troughs" are MUCH different from those on Avantis. Here a couple pix of the right side floor reinforcement on my (former) '64 convertible. I think it would be the same on your car.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, thank you very much for the photos of the floor reinforcement from your '64. I imagine these were similar on the '60. Perhaps someone will be able to post some pics of the '60.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
            The sills on the 60 convertibles are a little different than the later years, they lack the "extra" 2"X 2" box on the bottom (which I assume adds stiffness). Here are some photos from my 60:
            Attached Files
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Dan, thanks for the picture of the underside of your '60 convertible. The underside of your car sure looks clean and rust-free which is not something commonly found on a 50 year old convertible, especially from a car living in VT! I did notice that my '60 did appear to be missing the "extra 2 X 2" box found on the '64, but I was not sure until I saw the pictures from your car.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
                Glad to help out.

BTW: The 60 convertible came from southern California. It was well worth the $1200 to have it shipped to VT.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Jeff, like Rich said quite a few Studebaker cars had extra boxing under the floors to add stiffness to the body.
                  That's a really cute convert, and I'm not sure how far you plan to tear it down. But here's a picture similar to what you'll have AFTER you get the floor out.
                  You'll be able to assess what you have to work with. And do some welding / patching from the top rather than the bottom.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the picture from the topside view! This picture is also very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X