No announcement yet.

15x8 wheels that fit C/K rear fenders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it's close enough that side-side motion of the rear is an issue, a Panhard bar could help. I get the impression that this car isn't quite stock, so welding a couple tabs on the frame won't hurt its value any

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
      if it's close enough that side-side motion of the rear is an issue, a Panhard bar could help. I get the impression that this car isn't quite stock, so welding a couple tabs on the frame won't hurt its value any

nate
      Forgot to tell ya the finished car will have traction bars. Well, 400 ft lbs of torque, it helps.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

DEEPNHOCK
        Did you order their 'street legal' (DOT) wheels?
        Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
        Is there a difference?
        Yessir, there sure is.
        Running a non DOT approved wheel on the street is illegal and could invalidate your insurance, or expose you to legal issues.
        Basset does make street legal wheels in the size you are suggesting, so it is just a matter of ordering the correct ones.
        HTIH
        Jeff

From their website:
        (copy)
        I'd like to put Bassett Racing Wheels on my street car. Are all your wheels safe for street use?
        We do not recommend using any Bassett Racing Wheel on the street except those specifically stamped DOT. While all Bassett Racing Wheels have been rotary fatigue tested to withstand incredible cornering loads, the Unitied States Department of Transportation regulates on-highway wheel standards. A wheel must have a minimum shell material thickness of .125" and fit a Tire and Rim Association profile gauge in order to be stamped DOT. Bassett Racing Wheels are primarily used for closed course racing and as such are designed to be the lightest possible. Most of our wheel rim shells use material that is less than .125". Our rim shell profiles are designed to build a variety of backspaces and make tire mounting / dismounting easier, so most do not conform to Tire and Rim Association DOT profiles.
        To view Bassett DOT wheels, click here. http://www.bassettwheel.com/dot.html

(copy of Basset's DOT wheel page)
        If you're an IMCA hobby stock or street stock racer, Bassett's collection of DOT-approved racing wheels are for you. They feature the same quality construction and high strength of our Cup/Busch/Truck certified wheel. Bassett DOT wheels are also the lightest on the market.
        Since the wheels conform to the DOT specifications, they are legal for the street! When outfitting your car or truck with custom wheels, don't settle for lower quality knock-offs. Bassett Racing Wheels are race track tough.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Regarding the clearance issues... I've had 10 inch rims with 265-50-15 tires on the back of my 54 Coupe without having it tubbed. I've got 8 inch rims on there now with the same tires and I've got room to spare. About 1 inch clear to the springs and 1 inch clear of the fender. The only thing I did, was to roll the lip of the fender and I cheated the springs inboard with a few washers when I installed the urethane bushings. One of the reasons I used urethane bushings was to lose some of the slop you get with rubber bushings. The rear end is stable and does not rub anywhere on the tires.
          sals54

Comment

Yessir, there sure is.
            Running a non DOT approved wheel on the street is illegal and could invalidate your insurance, or expose you to legal issues.
            Basset does make street legal wheels in the size you are suggesting, so it is just a matter of ordering the correct ones.
            HTIH
            Jeff

This old road(pun intended) is starting to look vaguely familiar. I have also been told, and read, for many many years that racing rims in a street application is a bad idea, as the tolerances of the racing rims don't do well against cracks, bumps, and road potholes at road speed, and the end result is some tacoed or cracked rims.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Well .. this thread is pretty much useless to anyone other then the OP. He found
              rims that fit HIS car with significant suspension modifications. The wheels don't
              fit a C/K, they fit a custom car. This thread is VERY misleading because it starts
              off with the title "15x8 wheels that fit C/K rear fenders" then continues with :

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
              I finally broke down ordered a set of these wheels for my Stude. They have 5 in backspacing and are 8 inches wide. ... snip .... these wheels were the only 15x8 wheel to fit a Stude that I have found.
              I personally dont know anything about this car, and upon reading this the first
              thing I see is the 5 inch back spacing and someone with a STOCK Stude going
              to the included website and ordering these wheels based on this thread. It is
              very dangerous to not include the details of your mods that allow the mounting
              of aftermarket parts. People will hold YOU responsible when they order those
              wheels, put tires on them, go out for a spin - and find rubber chunks flying out
              of their front wheel wells on the first turn.... most people want the same size
              wheels all around, with the C/K : clearance to the rear fender is the main issue
              most people know. The ASSUMPTION is : if they fit the rear, they fit the front.
              See Sals post on the best way to present what you made work, he explained
              what he made fit, and how he did it.

Heck, I am STILL trying to explain to people on this forum that my brake setup
              has THREE different factory options and only ONE of them requires 17" wheels!

Tom
              Last edited by sbca96; 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM.
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

In the spirit of FULL DISCLOSURE, I feel obligated to mention that I've got a narrowed Ford 9 inch rear under the back of my Coupe. I did not feel it was relevant to the discussion of clearance to the fender since the original post mentioned special made rims which had back spacing necessary to compensate for the rear end width anyway. The particlular issue of clearance is often misstated and misunderstood. The area under the rear fenders of a C/K has more room than most realize. My rear tires have a width of 10-3/4 inches. I could easily fit another inch of rubber under there and still have clearance. Another matter of clearance has to do with the fact that my car is lowered and has a 1-1/4 inch front sway bar. As a result, my car has far less body roll than most. As you can see, there are many factors involved in determining how much clearance any tire/wheel/fender combination may have. Each car that is modified is going to have its own issues to deal with. Good luck. I hope this helps.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                  Those are a great choice. The Bassett's look fabulous with the right rubber. I went with a very similar wheel from American that was 17", to clear big brakes, but that wheel is apparently no longer available.
                  What exactly did you get, and can you send me specs and pictures.
                  Thanks
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

So what color did you pick? Black, Silver or Chrome??
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                      most people want the same size wheels all around,
                      Tom
                      Not true, at least not in the crowd I run with.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Shoot, Jerry....
                        In your crowd they are lucky if just two wheels match

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        Not true, at least not in the crowd I run with.
                        Originally Posted by sbca96,
                        most people want the same size wheels all around,
                        Tom
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          Shoot, Jerry....
                          In your crowd they are lucky if just two wheels match
                          Ha! So true.<G>
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Some of that crowd behind him may have a matching set...not sure about him!

These are for my Lark which is really a tight fit. I've never had much rear axle movement side to side, but I have a front and rear swar bar set up now, just in case. I bought a 7" pair from Stockton wheels with a bit over a 5" backspace. The other pair for the front are from Ted Harbit's stash...sixties Mopar, 6-1/2". Stock Stude spindles with Turner brakes on the front, Stock Dana 44 on the rear.

Good luck with your modified '54's fit. Sounds like you have much more room with which to work. I had to play with tire size o'plenty to get it right.
                            Last edited by barnlark; 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                              Some of that crowd behind him may have a matching set...not sure about him!

To be known as an evil vendor, that sure is a good looking guy. But he's all wet. <G>
                              And he always has such a professional looking name tag.
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

"Honey, does this poncho make me look fat?"

Comment

Working...
                                X