No announcement yet.

Correct Wheel Color for '64 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Wheel Color for '64 Commander?

I'm having body work done on my '64 Commander and it will be restored to its factory original creamy white color using samples from inside the trunk and engine compartment that were never repainted. The cheap paint job it had when I bought the car a few years ago was fading fast.

I am told that the wheel color for Lark-type cars of this model year was white which they appear to be today. In another post it sounded like a mid-model year change was made to precisely match dominant body color.

My Commander was built in Canada so perhaps the wheel colors were different.

Any answers as to the right paint color of the wheels? I will put the original dog dish hubcaps back on when done.

Tom

Pretty sure they were all an off white , right through to he '66 year. It may have been Astrawhite or Ermin White , one of those off white colors.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

All were Tusk Ivory, (light beige), no White, no Colors 1962 to 1964, slightly whiter in '65-'66 because Budd Wheel LTD of Canada used a different paint.

Body color wheels were '47-'59 for the most part, except for certain body colors like Black.

Astra White is a Gray-White, do not let them use '63 Ermine White or too much Yellow! The Engine Compartment will be yellowed from too much heat.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks, guys. I went with the Tusk Ivory for the wheels which matches the body. It looks showroom new now.

Comment

Stude Rich you are correct. As for the wheel color if you are looking for a very close match for your car, take a look at the Ford Wimbleton White or is it spelled Wimbledon White. Either way it is an almost perfect match.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            Thanks, guys. I went with the Tusk Ivory for the wheels which matches the body. It looks showroom new now.
            Well if you painted the wheels the CORRECT Beige way off-white (Tusk Ivory), it could not possibly MATCH a Gray-White (Astra White) Body! So you have a Beige/Tan car? That would not be the original Astra White.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X