New Diesel-Rated Oil VS Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Diesel-Rated Oil VS Studebakers

The new Low-Emissions LE-rated Diesel Oils have started appearing on shelves right along side [:0] the older Diesel-Rated oils we have recommended for Studebakers. Fortunately, the bottles have the difference specified; reading the labels will prevent you from accidentally buying the newer products.

The new LE-rated diesel oils are still C-Rated [Compression-Ignition], but do not have as much zinc compound as the older oils, and are thus not as good for Studebaker engines, all of which have flat-tappet (non-roller) camshafts and valve lifters....except the highly-modified ones, of course.

The new oils generally say LE [Low-Emission] somewhere on the label...but even if they don't, the tipoff is their new API [American Petroleum Institute] Rating of CJ-4. CJ-4 will appear in the little API circle somewhere on the oil container. It may be a good idea to stock up on all the CI-4 and CI-4 Plus-rated oil you can find, because sooner or later, all these diesel oils may become CJ-4 and we'll be back to looking for alternatives that aren't as cheap or readily available as your local discount or auto store chains. [xx(]

Today, I noted Mobil Delvac and Castrol Tection Extra on the shelf, both still having the CI-4 and CI-4-Plus rating; good. However, both formulas of Shell Rotella-T and Chevron Delo 400 were on the same shelf(!); one had to look at the labels carefully to be sure you weren't buying the new CJ-4, Low Emissions formula!

I'm going to squeeze this in The Co-Operator ASAP, but in the meantime, stock up on CI-4 and CI-4-Plus rated diesel oil while it is still available! (Yes, I've followed my own advice: With six collector cars to feed, I've laid in a supply of about 30 gallons of CI-4-rated Shell Rotella-T and Castrol Tection Extra!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Assuming that the older oils are going to be phased out, it seems like a quality non-API rated oil like Redline might, sadly, be the best way to go... Of course, to run something like that, you need to make sure all your gaskets and seals are in good shape.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Assuming that the older oils are going to be phased out, it seems like a quality non-API rated oil like Redline might, sadly, be the best way to go... Of course, to run something like that, you need to make sure all your gaskets and seals are in good shape.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

So apparently the big oil plan is that if you can't get us to stop running the old cars, get the old cars to stop running? I've never bought into conspiracy theories, but seriously, those wild-eyed folks who swear that the auto companies are in kahoots with the oil industry are starting to look like they're on to something.

Then again, maybe it's the eco-nuts trying to kill off all the old gas guzzlers. I don't know.

Someone aught to make a bumper sticker: "Make the world a better place. Use your old car to run an eco-nut off the road!" I'd buy it!

PS-No offense to any eco-nuts out there.

--------
        Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

So apparently the big oil plan is that if you can't get us to stop running the old cars, get the old cars to stop running? I've never bought into conspiracy theories, but seriously, those wild-eyed folks who swear that the auto companies are in kahoots with the oil industry are starting to look like they're on to something.

Then again, maybe it's the eco-nuts trying to kill off all the old gas guzzlers. I don't know.

Someone aught to make a bumper sticker: "Make the world a better place. Use your old car to run an eco-nut off the road!" I'd buy it!

PS-No offense to any eco-nuts out there.

--------
          Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by somecallmejim

Jim: The driving force here is entirely clean air. The new-formulation oils for diesels are an attempt to make diesels run cleaner, based on new technology being introduced in diesel-land. It's as simple as that. [:I] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by somecallmejim

Jim: The driving force here is entirely clean air. The new-formulation oils for diesels are an attempt to make diesels run cleaner, based on new technology being introduced in diesel-land. It's as simple as that. [:I] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob,
                What's the shelf-life of a 55 gallon drum?

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Bob,
                  What's the shelf-life of a 55 gallon drum?

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Not sure what you all think about Rotella T, I like it and have had great success with it. I really don't want to step on anyones toes here so that is all I will say about oils. My point is to try to turn you all green with envy, I just bought 5, 5 gal buckets of the old stuff for $10 a bucket. Don't care what oil you want to run can't beat that.

Comment

Not sure what you all think about Rotella T, I like it and have had great success with it. I really don't want to step on anyones toes here so that is all I will say about oils. My point is to try to turn you all green with envy, I just bought 5, 5 gal buckets of the old stuff for $10 a bucket. Don't care what oil you want to run can't beat that.

Comment

I just had an oil change done with Rotella T. Isn't it safe anymore??

Signed,
                        Confused and concerned
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I just had an oil change done with Rotella T. Isn't it safe anymore??

Signed,
                          Confused and concerned
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Jim, it's Eco-Nazi. And their Furer is Al Bore. I honestly don't care if I offend any ecologists.

Look to see this kind of thing get much, much worse. What with the dire warnings coming from the UN and international scientific communities, we can expect to find that cars like ours may soon become targets. After all, they do produce more hydrocarbons than the wee pocket mobiles that the E.N.s would have us drive. Or rather, not drive. If the ecologists had it their way there would be nothing but public transit and the private vehicle would become the conveyance of the very wealthy only.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Jim, it's Eco-Nazi. And their Furer is Al Bore. I honestly don't care if I offend any ecologists.

Look to see this kind of thing get much, much worse. What with the dire warnings coming from the UN and international scientific communities, we can expect to find that cars like ours may soon become targets. After all, they do produce more hydrocarbons than the wee pocket mobiles that the E.N.s would have us drive. Or rather, not drive. If the ecologists had it their way there would be nothing but public transit and the private vehicle would become the conveyance of the very wealthy only.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X